Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, April 23, 2011

Reflection: “In the Tomb”

Reflection: “In the Tomb”

I was not planning on posting any mediation today. But as evening approaches, I began to reflect on the hearts and minds of the Apostles. What were they going through?


Today, the Church is in mourning. We and the Apostles are at a loss for what has happened. We feel scattered, beaten and frightened. Since the beginning of its history the Church of Jesus Christ has been brutally attacked, and it will continue this way till the very end of history. With only a few words the Lord predicted a long and grueling life for any follower: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first” (Jn 15:18). We have experienced a sudden loss. There seems to be nothing for us to do today except shake our heads, rub our hands and pace back and forth. The Apostles remain quiet, still and hidden for they too are under attack by forces beyond their reach: men, the devil and maybe even by God (?).


The Lord has not only been rejected; he has been defeated. They have nowhere to go. They cannot go back home; that’s out of the question! They cannot go back to their former way of life. Never! They gave all they had, long ago, and followed Him. Their names are well known, written on the “Most Wanted, Most Hated” lists. They are the true Public Enemy #1. They never hid their involvement with Him. They were not like Joseph of Arimathea, “secretly a disciple of Jesus for fear of the Jews”. They were not like Nicodemus, “the one who had first come to him at night” No! They had embraced and committed themselves to Jesus of Nazareth. They were not in a dream. The report that John had given them of the Messiah’s crucifixion must have been horrific. And now these Eleven men were living their worst imaginable nightmare. They were locked in their tomb, locked from the inside, dead from fear and with no help on the way.


“What are you willing to give me?” (Mt 26:15) Judas had escaped the upper room by cheating life and embracing death. He had sold his soul for the world. How often do I sell my Lord for something as cheap as sin! 30 pieces of silver was a good amount. But to give away eternal love, eternal life for 30 pieces of silver is a tragedy, if not a stupidity. Why didn’t Judas ask the Lord the same question, “What are you willing to give me”? The Lord would have told him the truth: “Everything I have, I give to you.” Instead, Judas, like all of us, looks for immediate satisfaction, or self-gratification. We don’t want to wait for later – it’s too long – or so it seems. The Lord offers us his father’s mansion – a room there, if only we can wait a little while longer. To be His, we must follow Him, love Him and imitate Him so that we can do His work and help others to do it too. The room must be prepared. How we live our life on earth will determine if this room is ever made ready.


This Holy Saturday, we find the Lord locked in his tomb, the Apostles locked in their tomb and Judas buried in the Field of Blood. Death seems to surround me wherever I go! Where do I find myself this evening? Am I in my upper room, locked in fear and trembling? Or am I with the pious women, with Mary the Mother of God and Mary of Magdala, in prayer and open defiance, ready to prepare the Body of My Lord and be surprised?

1 comment:

  1. JJJJI'm glad you posted this reflection. As I was going about my day today including the laborious yard work I was thinking about the scripture you mentioned Jn. 15:18 " If the world hates you remember it hated me first" those words gave me comfort thinking of all struggles I face and so as I wait for Jesus tomorrow, I do so with gratitude that He not only told us to pick up our cross but showed us how to.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.