Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mk 1:29-39 Something Exhilarating

Mk 1:29-39 Something Exhilarating

(Click here for readings)


On leaving the synagogue Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John. Simon’s mother-in-law lay sick with a fever. They immediately told him about her. He approached her, grasped her hand, and helped her up. Then the fever left her and she waited on them.


There is nothing more exhilarating in one’s life than to be able to put all the pieces of your life together and see the hand of God in everything!


If Peter had not been a fisherman; if he had not been in the boat when the Lord passed by; if the catch that day had not been a failure, then he very well may never have been an Apostle of the Lord. If he had not been an Apostle of the Lord, then the Lord may never have stayed in Peter’s home. If he had never stayed in Peter’s home, then he would never have had the chance to cure his mother-in-law.


If Hanna had not been barren, then she may have never dedicated her son Samuel to the Lord. If she had not wept copiously in front of Eli the priest, then he would have never been able to encourage her to trust in God. She wept and prayed. He believed and encouraged. She gave birth to one of the greatest prophets of all time.


There was a moment in my life when I had to choose between working in Washington D.C. and working in Rochester, NY. I chose, at the insistence of my father, to work in Rochester. If I had not listened to my father, then I would not have worked for Kodak. If I had not worked for Kodak, then I would have never met a young protestant girl who eventually became my girl friend. If I had not met this protestant girl friend of mine, then I would have never been challenged in my faith. If I had never been challenged in my faith, then I would not be a priest today. And if I was not a priest, then I would not be in Dallas, Texas today. If I were not living in Dallas, Texas, then I would have never met all the people I know here. My life (and theirs) would be completely different.


Yesterday Kodak filed for Chapter 11. It will soon vanish. Its once advanced technology has been replaced. All things vanish, even Apple Inc. will vanish. One day Rochester, NY and Washington D.C. will vanish. One day, all careers will vanish, all toys will cease to be, all thing on earth will no longer be.


It is exhilarating as it is terrifying to see the hand of God in everything!


Everything has a reason, including the universe.


“Receive the word of God, not as the word of men, but as it truly is, the word of God.” Receive the word of God as you receive air, water and food, sunlight and sleep. Receive the Lord. Every time you speak the language of the Lord, you speak in His name; you speak like the Lord. The word of the Lord shall not go barren. His word shall bear fruit that will last forever.