Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mt 26:14-25 Surely It Is Not I, Lord?

Mt 26:14-25 Surely It Is Not I, Lord?

(Click here for readings)


One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?”


I don’t know if Judas ever thought his actions would lead to Christ’s death. But I am sure he never thought it would lead to his own death. The wages of sin is death; not thirty pieces of silver (cf. Rom 6:23). The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus! Sin leads to despair, which leads to suicide. But forgiveness leads to redemption; it smashes the gates of hell (that entrap me) and leaves wide open one in a million paths to hope and love; and life.


Read all the sacred readings during Holy Week. Underline, highlight, and read over and over again the history of our salvation: what the Lord did, how he did it, what he said, what he didn’t say. Take a hard look because the Lord got through it all! Yes! He got through it all! Love conquers all things!


What would happen to me if I was stripped of my friends? How would I handle being stripped of my hair and my health? What would I do? What would I say? How would I handle being stripped of my reputation; my name? Would I be devastated? Would I fall apart? What would happen to you if you lost your job, your wife, your children, your home and car? What would happen to your teenage daughter or son if their Hearos Skull Screws ear plugs were ripped out of their ears; or if they were disconnected from their iphone, ipod and xbox kinect? Would they shrivel up and blow away if their Tyler shirt, Air Jordan retro (or Lunarglide shoes) and Nike Platinum Elite socks were stripped off of them?


Holy Week will always be holy because it is so realistic, so powerful and so meaningful! We have very few precious days to re-live the most dramatic, the most powerful and the difficult moments in the life of our Lord Jesus Christ. But let us not fool ourselves in thinking that this could never happen to me. IT WILL! I too will experience suffering, pain, abandonment, betrayal and loneliness. One day, I will be forced to go where I do not want to go, like a nursing home. One day, I will (if not already) be betrayed and abandoned by my very own. One midnight, my head will spin 360 deg. and my world will be turned upside down by a phone call from the police or a phone call from my child. One day…all this will happen to me, one way or another.


I am not trying to scare anyone. I am simply trying to prepare everyone! We too will go through our Passion. So, it isn’t the time to run and hide but rather meditate and learn; and learn from the Master. Do I have to break all the commandment to be happy? No! Do I have to break any of the commandments to be happy? No. Do I have to respond to every harsh word that is directed towards me? No. A well-trained tongue (cf. Is 50:4) means I know when and when not to use it. Do I have to pick fights with those who attack me? No. Aha! I got it…Do I have to choose my friends very carefully? No. The Lord surrounded himself with mediocre company. They changed. He never changed. “Do what you must”, the Lord told Judas, but I must do what is right.


“Surely, it is not I, Lord?” A few days ago I played for the first time in my life a lottery ticket. I played two dollars worth. I asked myself, “If I won, would I still be a priest?” Well, I didn’t become a priest to become wealthy, that’s for sure! I didn’t become a priest to be comfortable or fashionable or have the latest and greatest electronics or car, that’s for sure. But, what would I do with the money? How would I handle it? Who would I help? “Surely, I would do everything the right way, right?” “Surely, I would be generous to God and to the Church, right?”


Then I remembered the movie, “Airplane” and what comic actor Leslie Nielson would often say: don’t assume anything and stop calling me “Surely”.


Let us not put the Lord to the test. Let us prepare for the test.

2 comments:

  1. How interesting the DFW area tornados & hail storm hit yesterday, right at the beginning of Holy Week! This mega storm really opened my eyes to Jesus’ passion and the ongoing passion in my own everyday life.

    While huddled in the tornado shelter along with my coworkers, I wondered if my home still standing, if family/friends were ok, if my dog was ok! Was everybody and everything safe? Was it possible I could be "stripped" of all of my material possessions or my loved ones with the touch down of tornado? The "Divine Mercy Chaplet" was playing on the Catholic Radio station as I drove home in blinding rain and hail! (Divine providence!!) Tears of fear trickled down my face. Yet, I knew in my heart everything was going to be ok. I knew many people would lose the roofs off their homes or experience hail damage to their vehicles. However, people would survive. Blessed be to God I didn't hear of any deaths or serious injuries.

    I have to be diligent and prepared for what God throws in my life! I may not live through the next tornado that hits. I have to be loving and accepting of others unconditionally. I cannot be like Judas, denying that I won’t be responsible; this or that won’t happen to me. Holy Week is a wonderful time to reflect and ponder the meaning of Jesus’ passion, death and resurrection in our lives.

    Blessings,

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer I don't know you but what you wrote is every bit thought provoking and beautiful as Fr. Alfonse's meditation. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.