Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, August 18, 2013

Luke 12:49-53 I Have This Fire!

Twentieth Sunday In Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

Jesus said to his disciples:  "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!"

The Prophet Jeremiah.  One of Israel's greatest prophets, Jeremiah, was thrown into a cistern by his enemies!  Why?  Why did they do something like this!

We all know the famous saying: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names [words] will never hurt me."    I don't know if teachers still teach this in schools, but it's not true!  Words do hurt us.  Jeremiah was thrown into a well because his words were considered "demoralizing."

As children we were brought up learning that lies would land us in trouble.  Parents:  Have you broken the bad news to your kids, yet?  Have you told them that telling the truth will land them into even bigger problems at work and with the government?  Most teenagers figure it for themselves, especially when they lose a close friend because they told them the truth.

Jeremiah got in trouble with his own people not because he told them lies or what they wanted to hear.  He got in trouble because he told them what they didn't want to hear; that is, he told them the truth.

I have come to set the earth on fire.  Christ has this incredible, almost insatiable, desire to set the world on fire; to reveal himself to us! 

He has so much to tell us, and it's consuming Him.  He has so much to do, and it is killing Him.  He is the Word made flesh and He feels trapped in his own skin!

He wants to put a new song into our mouth (cf. Ps 40:3).

I recently watched the new Lady Gaga video ("Applause") and I wasn't surprised.  A lot of critics weren't either.  They gave it a big "F".  It didn't make to the top of any charts.  It didn't make it to the number one, number two or even the number three spot.  The producers said it would be shocking.  It wasn't.  It was actually quite boring.  There's just so little you can wear until you're naked.  And that's no longer shocking to anyone.  So what will be next?  Will we see her internal organs?

Katy Perry came out with her new song:  "Roar."  The critics called it lame.  They said it was more like a kitten's meow.  I agree.

What is shocking?  Duck Dynasty!  That's shocking!  I just read that season premiere shattered cable TV's record with 11 million viewers!  Why?  What's so special about this program?  Well, it's wholesome, and wholesome, my dear friends, is shocking today.  It's about normal people, and that is very shocking today.  It's about hard working brothers that work together, play together, and pray together, and that is unheard of today.  And the fact that this is shocking is shocking!  I guess it is unfashionable in today's highly dysfunctional society to have a functional family life.

Again, that's shocking!

Faith is shocking, and it shocks the hell out of this world, literally.

Faith gives life to life.  It brings life to life.  It makes life worth living.  Let's get some matches burning, shall we? 

Let's start putting some faith in our romances; in our relationships; in our marriages; in our culture; in our homes; in our work; in our sports; and in our lives! 

It's not easy, but it's worth trying.  And try we must.  Don't give me that bull that it's hard to do.  In the letter to the Hebrews, the author writes:  "In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood."

How true!  I usually give-up long before I even start sweating, let alone shedding, and shedding blood!  

Enough is enough!  Time to shed some blood.  Time to put some faith back into my life!

Push yourself to have a more intimate relationship with the Lord; to make yourself more familiar with the things of God.

Start saying and doing what Christ was dying to say and do.

6 comments:

  1. http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pro-life-duck-dynasty-star-may-run-for-louisiana-house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is another relevant link about the duck folks:

    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/duck-dynasty-stars-use-their-fame-to-speak-on-abstinence-abortion-and-adopt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like reality shows as a rule, but might watch one episode of "Duck." I find others, exploitative for profit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. But I like Duck Dynasty because the family prayed before they were aired on TV.

    I have yet to watch a full episode of any reality TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Most teenagers figure it for themselves, especially when they lose a close friend because they told them the truth.” I continue to find this is true for adults as well. There is no chronos in the spiritual life.

    It depends on who you are telling the truth to: some can take the truth and do something constructive with it; others are not ready for it for they will place it against you. All I can know the Truth to be is how “I” take it. “How can this Truth change me for the better?” I can see the good for what it produces and I can see the bad for what it produces. Others are not where I am, and I am not where others are, so what you said about being “good” rings a certain tone with me: those who have more, more is expected.

    God does spend our whole lives working with us. I agree, we will find complete joy when we do too! It’s just that life brings many challenges. I used to love these challenges. Hopefully, only with God’s grace, I can learn to love them once again.

    In Him Alone,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. San Antonio City Councilwoman Elisa Chan is getting raked over the coals for refusing to cooperate in grant privileges and protections to people living a gay lifestyle who seek to do business with the City of San Antonio. She is being called "anti-gay" (rather than pro-celibacy?), homophobic, and someone who "rants." She could very well lose her position on the city council, and be demonized in the process.http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/Elisa-Chan-says-anti-gay-remarks-are-free-speech-4745674.php

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.