Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, January 3, 2014

John 1:29-34 This Is My Name

The Most Holy Name of Jesus
(Click here for readings)

John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world..."

Sticks and stones may break someone's bones, while names may best describe them.

On March 13th, 2013, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran announced to the world, "Habemus Papam...Franciscum"

So why did Pope Bergoglio pick the name "Francis?"  Was it because he liked how it sounded?  Was it because it had never been used before?  Of course not.  The reason was quite simple:  He wanted to send a clear message to everyone: My Pontificate will be in the style of St. Francis of Assisi.  I will speak out against poverty, waste and greed; I will be an advocate for the outcasts, the homeless and refugees; I will be a reformer for the Church, an environmentalist for the earth, and a lover of the unforgiveable and unlovable. 

All of this comes from a name. 

Jesus.  God is big, even on earth.  And He's too big for just one name.  So throughout his tenure on earth, our Lord preferred to go by various names. 

Behold, the Lamb of God. This name is a classic.  It goes all the way back to when Moses lead his people out of Egypt.  So when Jesus identified himself with this name, he was saying:  I want to lead you out of the slavery of sin to the real Promised Land, Heaven.  I want to be your guide.  I want to be your Advocate.  Allow me to lead you. 

How?  From behind.  God commanded his chosen people to slaughter an unblemished male lamb.  Why a lamb?  For no good reason. This poor creature didn't deserve this type of treatment.  It was entirely innocent.  It had done nothing wrong.  Besides, it wasn't even human! 

The same holds true of Christ. The Lord never hurt anyone.  He never committed a sin.  He did nothing wrong.  So when he assumed the name "Lamb of God"  he was telling the world:  I will die for you.  I will lay down my life for you.  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Mt 11:29).

So what name will you give yourself this new year? 

I am the lamb of God.  I am willing to lay down my life for others.  I am willing to sacrifice myself for others and make some tough choices.

I am the Good Shepherd.  This means I am willing to move out of my comfort zone and look for those who have strayed from God or have lost their way.

I am the Good Samaritan.  I am willing to lend a hand, to get involved in the lives of the brokenhearted, the wounded, and the suffering.  I am willing to take a stand.  "God did not come into the world to condemn the world, but to save it through him" (Jn 3:17).  "Those who are well are in no need of a physician, but those who are sick.  I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners" (Mk 2:17).

Which name will you give to yourself this new year?  Take it and get to work.  Take it seriously.

1 comment:

  1. I am the Simple Mind. In other words, my arrogance, pride and "know it all attitude" have been shattered over the last 3 years by my own son. Thanks be to God for troubled children. This one saved my life. I will continue to seek the simple truths that have set me free, humility, unconditional love, forgiveness, and mercy. Truths that are best expressed in our Catholic Faith. I will model these truths daily.
    The Angels and Saints are my best friends now. Our Blessed Mother holds me close everyday, and Jesus continues to purify and refine my heart. I will simply adore Him everyday. YSIC, God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.