Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, September 26, 2014

Lk 9:16-22 Who Do People Say That I Am?

Friday of the Twenty-Fifth Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

Once when Jesus was praying in solitude, and the disciples were with him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say that I am?" They said in reply, "John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, 'One of the ancient prophets has arisen.'" Then he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"

Who is Christ?  This is an important question.  The answer a person gives will say a lot about that person.  If Jesus is truly my Lord and my Savior, then I will strive to live my life in imitation of Him.  If He is my worst fear, then chances are I will live my life in intimidation of Him.  Of course none of this changes who Jesus is.  He is Lord, regardless of what I think, but the way I see Christ will influence the way I see myself, my life and the lives of those around me, even the lives of those inside of me.

Who do people say that my child is?  This past week, I read an article in the Dallas Morning News (DMN) entitled: "Bishop Lynch coach's courage despite unborn baby's defect inspires team."  Notice how they used the word "baby" instead of fetus or mass of tissue or blob of tissue. 

I was impressed by the DMN's honesty.

Tricia Roos is a hero in every sense of the word.  She exhibits courage in a culture full of cynicism and critics; honesty in a environment full of euphemisms; faith in a data driven/positivistic mentality; and poetry in an all-too-efficient society.

Tricia is 5 1/2 months-pregnant with a baby girl who is seriously ill with Trisomy 18.  Here's the "data:"  Fewer than 10 percent of babies with Trisomy 18 survive.  "It's because of these poor statistics that most doctors recommend terminating the pregnancy.  So much so that Roos didn't even realize there was another option:"  to keep going.

Roos has made it clear:  "This isn't a mistake.  There's a higher purpose for this."

What's the higher purpose?  To educate our young people that life - all life - is sacred, precious and priceless.

Who did people say that I am?  The God who knows all hearts and minds will say:  You're mom knew you were her baby girl.  She even gave you a name.

Make no mistake.  In the culture we live in today, even the most well intended and most loving people, family members and neighbors would recommend abortion.  Why?  Because we no not what we are saying.  And, if I may say, we kind of enjoy playing the role of God.

FLASHBACK:  Jesus said to the Twelve:  "The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised."

Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke him, "Never, Lord!  This shall never happen to you!" (cf. Mt 16:22)

Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns." (cf. Mt 16:23)

There's a higher purpose for this.  Amen.  Amen.  Amen. 

Bishop Lynch is blessed to have a coach like Tricia Roos.  Her players are blessed to have a role model like Tricia Roos. 

We need people like Tricia Roos.  They help us to be brave.

2 comments:

  1. We need people like Tricia Roos. They help us to be brave.

    We need people like Megan Ryan, the Dallas Morning News reporter who told this story. They help us to be brave.

    We need good priests like Fr. Alfonse who share this story and stand for life. They help us to be brave.

    As we approach pro-life month in October and amidst the 40 Days for Life Fall Campaign at Planned Parenthood, please pray for all the moms who bravely choose life, please pray for all the post-abortive moms who need our love and support, pray for the conversion of the abortionists and clinic workers, and please pray for the sidewalk counselors and prayer warriors who stand on the clinic sidewalks daily and who are a powerful witness for life. Pray for us, Blessed Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I wonder what would happen if it were common to identify other "defects" in babies to jusitfy abortion, like a hot-temper, alcoholism, and a doctor would recommend, "this baby cannot live. it will become an alcoholic, and is beyond all hope of a good life. It would be better if this baby did not grow up." I am the sister of an awesome woman with Down's Syndrome, and I feel like I grew up with a saint. She has survived multiple surgeries, ongoing strange looks from random strangers, frustration of knowing she's different and sometimes can't do the same things others can. But she excels in living simply, sincerely and with a whole heart. She sees the souls of people and knows when they are sincere, and responds in kind. She doesn't quit on a challenge, and rarely complains. I love my sister deeply, and can't imagine what we would have missed out on life without her.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.