Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, November 23, 2014

Mt 25:31-46 The Best Who Served The Rest

The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe
(Click here for readings)

By FATHER ALFONSE NAZZARO

Jesus said to his disciples:  "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him.  And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.  Then the king will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father.  Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."


Jesus Christ, Shepherd of the Universe.  What a sight it will be!  A glorious throne.  Nations assembled before Him.  Emperors, Dictators, Presidents - everyone in a position of power and authority - will be bowing and shaking before the almighty King.  Peasants - simple folks - will be bowing and shaking as well.  Some will go to His right.  Others will go to His left.  They will know their place.  They will know who stands for Him and who stands against Him.  They will know the real King - the only King - of all things.  LIGHTS, CAMERAS, ACTION!

Will Christ will pound His chest and declare His authority for all to hear and fear?  Will He point His finger and make us blush?  Will He sentence some to life and others to death?  Will people cheer?  Is there applause in heaven?  Will He make us feel weak and small?  Will He Lord himself over us?

Will He repeat what others have done throughout the centuries?

No!

The refrain.  Today's reading reminds me of a song written with two verses and a refrain.  What is the refrain?  "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me."

What?  Is this right? 

I find today's "refrain" to be abrupt and somewhat out of place, even shockingly unceremonious and downright underwhelming.  Could this be right?  Is this what it takes to inherit God's kingdom?  Is this what makes us royals?

Jesus Christ, King of the Universe.  I'm sure the Lord never physically pounded his chest, or sat in a high chair or throne.  I'm also sure He never went on top of any mountain to coronate himself.  But in today's first and second staves, it sure sounds like He could have...if He had wanted to.

What's Christ's secret to being a King, a real King, a noble King?  Being a servant.   

What's the secret to living a long and prosperous life while keeping your mind sane and your body healthy?  Serving others.

Why are so many people sick today, with unhealthy thoughts and unhealthy bodies?  Could it possibly be that we are spending way too much time thinking about ourselves and not enough on others?

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me."

Stop thinking about all the times you were rejected.  Stop reliving them in your head.  Stop worrying so much about what you eat, what you wear and how you look? 
When was the last time you looked in the mirror and saw your neighbor???

For I was hungry... This world is starving for Christ.  It thirsts for righteousness.  We're all looking for a good friend and someone to love.  Have you found him/her?  Is it real?  Is it noble?  Is it holy?

LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE YOUR NEIGHBOR!

To be a king, you have to treat others as kings.  To be a royal, you have to start giving others the royal treatment:  "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me."

If you want people to worship you, then you must first worship them.  If you want people to love you, then you must love them first.  If you want people to delight over you, then take delight over them.

Jealousy:  the killer of Saints.  I've said it before and I will say it again.  Jealousy is a very ugly sin because it is a very unforgiving sin.  It spiritually, emotionally and physically kills its host! 

If all I do in life is compare myself to those in front of me, and never notice those behind me, then I will always appear to be a loser.  

Be fair.  Look in front of you and behind you.  There is nothing to be jealous of.  Learn from the best to serve the rest!

Now here is the twist:  As a priest, I've noticed something.  I've learned more from the "rest" than from the "best."  I've learned I have very little to fear, and that I can do without, and that it's more appealing and attractive to shine a spotlight on others than on yourself.   

So after careful review, I have determined that today's refrain is not frightfully unceremonious or underwhelming, but rather plucky and refreshing. 

Look in the mirror and see all those who need you.  See God and neighbor. "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me."

This isn't a story of rags to riches, but of service to riches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.