Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, December 13, 2014

Mt 17:9a, 10-13 Time of Grace

Saturday of the Second Week of Advent
(Click here for readings)

As they were coming down from the mountain, the disciples asked Jesus, "Why do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?"  He said in reply, "Elijah will indeed come and restore all things; but I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him..."

Elijah has already come.   Why did the disciples ask Jesus if Elijah had already come?  After a lot of reflection, I think I may know why.

Most of us don't take ourselves too seriously.  Hence, we can't imagine God taking us too seriously. I mean, who am I that God would love me as much as he loves His son.  Is this even possible?  Is it even advisable? 

The disciples must of had these types of doubts.  They must have asked themselves a thousand times:  Is this moment in time special? Am I special?  Am I really special that God would call me to accompany Him?  Is this really happening to me?  Am I living in one of the most exciting and incredible times in the history of the world?  Does He love me this much?

The answer appears to be shocking.  Actually, it's a bit overwhelming!

"I tell you that Elijah has already come...  So also...the Son of Man..."

Elijah did come.  And the Son of God followed.  And He has called me.  Yes, the Son of God, the Almighty, the maker of heaven and earth, of all things, has called me, a nobody in the sight of men, to follow Him more dearly, more nearly and more lovingly.  

The Lord has done marvelous things for me and has called me to participate in the history of salvation; that is, to speak in His name and to live as He lived.  This calling is both very personal and very specific, and yet it has gone out to every single believer since the birth of the Son of God. 

God doesn't expect us to take ourselves seriously.  He expects us to take Him seriously; to take life, death, judgment, salvation, neighbor and stranger seriously.

We are indeed living in a time of grace, peace and good will.

We are living in the presence of the Lord and in the time He has given us. 

Lord, make us turn to you; let us see your face and we shall be saved (Ps 80:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.