Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, August 13, 2010

Mt 19:3-12 Undivided Unity

Matthew 19:3-12 Unconditional Love

(Click here for reading)

I will never forget one of my favorite Abbott and Costello lines, “Marry an ugly woman. Why? Because if she leaves you, you won’t care!” I don’t watch too many Abbott and Costello movies any longer.

Why is it so hard to love? Because true love requires authentic commitment and betrayal lurks in all directions. In some ways it is unfortunate that wedding vows are taken at the best of times – the “good times”, rather than the worst of times – the “bad times”. I wonder how many would take them. I guess only the authentic relationships.

Israel is always considered and looked upon as the Lord’s bride. She was nothing before the Lord called her out of her misery and bathed her in beauty, splendor and majesty. And yet, as he did that, she became captivated by her own beauty, and used her renown to make herself a harlot, and she lavished her harlotry on every passer-by, whose own she became. (Ezekiel 16:60)

“God indeed is my savior; I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the LORD, and he has been my savior” (Isaiah 12:2). Only He can guide me, encourage me and give me strength to defeat my fears, temptations, and sins. God remains committed to what he has created. He loves me more than I love myself. He loves me more than what I am. He loves me because he has made an everlasting covenant with me. This bond can never be broken because the Lord is true to his word. From generation to generation, the Lord remains steadfast in his love. He is my rock. He is my love. He is my savior!

For this reason alone, marriage is a bond that can never be broken. The man that makes this bond imitates the Lord in every way: he provides and protects; he leads and guides; he loves and forgives; he is my hero! No wonder why a Christian song called “Lead Me” is making its way to the top of the charts! We all look for that man!

“Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any cause whatever?” We must remember that the United States was not among the first nations to institute “no-fault” divorce. It was Israel! Imagine for a moment, 2000 years ago, when males dominated the world, and this question was posed to the Lord. His answer, back then, was much more shocking to the ears than it is today! “What God has joined together, man must not separate.” Then why were they permitted? “Because of the hardness of your hearts.” The Law of Love is written on a heart of flesh and not on a slab of stone. Love goes beyond what is reasonable, justifiable or even imaginable. No wonder why God has stuck with us for so long! How many times should he have abandoned us, destroyed us or even condemned us.

Not only does the Lord love us, he calls us. He calls some men to the priesthood - those who renounce marriage “for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven.”

Today’s readings are for those who are married or in the priesthood. These words are hard to accept by all. The Lord wishes to pry and “pray” open our hearts to unconditional love, but also to open our ears to hear. He leads by example.

“Whoever can accept this ought to accept it."

2 comments:

  1. Love goes beyond what is reasonable, justifiable or even imaginable. No wonder why God has stuck with us for so long! How many times should he have abandoned us, destroyed us or even condemned us.

    Ok, when you look at it that way, if we are to imitate Him, some of us have a loooong way to go!

    He's a HARD act to follow! But he's not asking us to die on the cross, just carry it.

    Thank GOD we're Catholic and we GET to offer it all up and even benefit from the struggle and pain of it all.

    Thank You Jesus!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Alfonse I love your blog Saint Joseph here in Richardson has needed something like this for a long time Some authentic catholic teaching your post on forgiveness was especially helpful please continue to uphold the magisterium of the church I am a convert and it saddens me to hear people that are cradle Catholics say that they totally disagree with church doctrine and teachings any one with any common sense will realize that the church teaches the fullness of truth of the church that was instituted by Christ and the apostles

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.