Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mt 22:1-14 A Wedding Made In Heaven


Matthew 22:1-14 A Wedding Made In Heaven

(Click here for reading)

Today’s parable of the Marriage Feast is an allegory of salvation history that reaches its climax in Jesus Christ. The king is God, who prepares a heavenly celebration for his son. The servants are the prophets of old, sent to invite the Chosen People, the people of Israel, but they refuse. In fact, some are beaten and killed. God was so enraged that he will destroy the city of Jerusalem and send other servants, the Apostles, to invite all people (the Gentiles), good and bad alike. Those that are not properly dressed – that is, those who have not done good deeds, will be cast out and thrown away.

Here is a question that is very much worth asking: What must I do to be saved? Maybe some of us would have a hard time answering this, even after many years of CCD instruction, bible studies and/or weekly Mass. Thank God the question was asked over two thousand years ago: “Master, what must I do to have eternal life?” (Mt 19:18) The answer is faith and good works. Believe in the one whom the Father sent and live what you believe. Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life, whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe?” (Jn 11:26) Yes, Lord, I have come to believe!

We have all been invited to the feast! The Lord stretched out his arms to embrace his people, and walked for miles to gather his sheep. He spent his time in prayer, fasting, healing the sick and helping the poor. He endured so much, but he set an enduring example that would endure forever! This feast, this banquet - the very Last Supper- will never come to an end because it has been prepared through Him, with Him and in Him. The food and drink will never run out because it is his body and blood, poured out for many so that many may live. “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed!”

“A clean heart create in me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me…Give me back the joy of your salvation and a willing spirit sustain in me…My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.” (Ps. 51:12-19)

The Apostles (the King’s servants) headed the Son’s final commandment: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and behold, I am with you always, till the end of the age.” (Mt 28:19)

These words are dear to me. Sixteen years ago, as I was making my final farewell to my family, friends, and work associates, I needed a miracle, a confirmation that the Lord was truly calling me. I knew it in my heart and mind, but the flesh is weak and I couldn’t walk a step further. I remembered how a saint closed his eyes and opened the bible in hope of finding an answer to his calling. I did the same and my eyes and finger fell upon Matthew 28:19.

Little did I realize that this is where our eyes, ears, tongue, hand, heart, mind and will should always fall upon: The Word of God.

Today, share your faith, hope and love in the Lord with someone who has forgotten (or never knew) The Way back home. Invite them to come to the feast where there is plenty of food and drink.

4 comments:

  1. Fr. Alfonse,
    I love the way you tie in Scripture, the Mass, and your thoughts in your reflections. It is so beautiful to be reminded of how the word of God is weaved into every part of the Mass. As Catholics, how blessed are we to be able to participate fully in this banquet feast and most glorious prayer...the Mass! And what a great holy challenge you have have given us. I pray for the courage and opportunity, and I praise God for His desire and longing to be with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reflection Fr. Alfonse. I love the way you share examples from your personal life in your meditations. Your words, "our eyes, ears, tongue, hand, heart, mind and will should always fall upon the Word of God" remind me how often God speaks to us through His Word.

    This past spring I was to share my witness on our high school ministry retreat. I knew God was calling me to do it but I get nervous talking in front of 10 people, much less 250! I tremble, my mouth gets dry and I often forget what I am going to say.
    So while in Adoration the night before, I was praying for peace. I opened my bible and the words before me were, "To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD." (Jeremiah 1:7-8)
    The Holy Spirit was with me. I spoke without any notes, my voice was clear and I wasn't trembling. God is always faithful! I just have to take that leap of faith more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father Alfonse,
    I don't know that you truly KNOW the depth and breathe of sharing your faith and also the relevance of The Word to our every day lives YOU have given to so many in your homilies, your daily reflections, your witness as a good man, and phenomenal good priest!

    God truly spoke to you through Matthew 28:19. Lucky us! I know I am blessed because of your decision to make the vow of Holy Orders. Your commentaries and personal stories have been messages from God to ME that He is listening to my prayers, my pleas, my need for affirmation that He is listening.

    I love this daily blog...I appreciate your insight and I appreciate even more that you said "yes" like the Virgin Mary did when God made the request. I am sure you hear it often (at least you should...) but you are extraordinary! A blessing. I pray for more priests like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Believe in the one whom the Father sent and live what you believe."

    Wow how simple!

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.