Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, January 16, 2011

John 1:29-34 Jesus Coming Towards Me

John 1:29-34 Jesus Coming Towards Me

(Click here for readings)

If I saw Jesus, would I recognize him? If he came towards me, would I bow down before him or would I run away from him - turn my back on him? This question is not so hypothetical. In fact, it is easily answered by the choices I have made in the difficult times of my life. Have I chosen God over myself? His Will over mine; his selflessness or my selfishness? This is a question we can all answer. Have I abandoned my spouse, broken my promises or vows, thrown chaos and confusion, darkness and fury over all who are around me? Yes, I can answer this question too. All I need to do is open my eyes and see what I have done.

John saw the Lord coming towards him and immediately recognized him. He told his disciples, the gems of his hard labor, to no longer follow him but to follow the Lord. Saints do not give to the world themselves; they give to the world Christ. John, like Mary, gave to the world the Son of God. Lord, let there be light, and there was Light!

A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me. What does it take to be a disciple of the Lord? Humility. What does it mean to be humble? To accept myself for what I am. I am a speck of sand – in time and in space! I am a dot in the universe – in length and in width! Our planet is not even in the center of our solar system! Copernicus pushed us off to the side! Hubble kicked us out of our unique galaxy! And I think to myself…How comforting this is. Nothing I do makes any difference. I can do whatever I want.

But in reality, in the eyes of all that can see, I am a spiritual giant! Taller than any redwood, more conscious than any existing matter, more intelligent than our sun, more nurturing than Mother Nature, more loving than all the precious stones below, and much more forgiving than the Universe! I belong to my Creator in a unique, singular way! I belong to the Lord who is my Father, my brother, my God. Only man and woman can look up into the sky and say, “What a beautiful night.” No animal, no-thing can do that! Only man and woman can say, “I am here”, and no one can take my place. And what is truly remarkable is: My God knows me. “To those who accepted him, he gave power to become children of God.” Now I know who I am. I can make a difference! “Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will!”

Now I must accept who the Lord has made me to be: his child. I will not run away from the Lord. I will run to the Lord and embrace Him. He has given me depth and length, purpose and meaning. He who ranks ahead of me is coming to me! I am his and he is mine. I am not an insignificant speck. I am a drop of God’s infinite love, capable of making another smile, of bringing joy to another, of opening heaven to those sunk into despair.

This power to become children of God means to rise above the existing confusion of this world and set some order to it! We have been called to bring some light; to open the skies and discover the heavens above. To see life for what it is: an overflow of God’s love. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will. I will not succumb to the greatest lie ever! That is, “I’m so sorry. I can’t help you.”

We will soon be witnessing the beatification of John Paul II. He was a giant. He was a speck in the eyes of evil. Born in an insignificant country; orphaned at an early age. His nation was run over by Nazis and then Communists, but he stood straight up and faced the evil giants that surrounded him. He did so because he loved God. This is what love can do!

May I never be comforted in thinking that I am a speck! May I be terrified in knowing that I am a drop of love – infinite love – from God! This drop makes all the difference in the world.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the meditation today (yesterday) Father Alfonse.

    I really like this:

    "I am not an insignificant speck. I am a drop of God’s infinite love, capable of making another smile, of bringing joy to another, of opening heaven to those sunk into despair."

    It reminded me that we all have a purpose and must play a part to spread His kingdom though His words. I just learned this verse yesterday. I plan on sharing when needed.

    Jeremiah 29:11
    "For I know well the plans I have in mind for you," says the LORD, "plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope." Jeremiah 29:11

    God Bless You Father Alfonse!
    Rose :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "May I never be comforted in thinking that I am a speck!" - This line translates so wonderfully the line in the monologue from the movie "Coach Carter" which goes as "It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."
    Thank you for sharing the words of this meditation Fr. Alfonse.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you by any chance know the name of the painting?

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.