Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, January 17, 2011

Mk 2:18-22 The New Skins

Mk 2:18-22 The New Skins

(Click here for readings)

With the Lord’s arrival, the celebration must begin. God among us is cause for celebration. We are and will never be alone, orphaned – forgotten. In fact, Christ’s first miracle begins in Cana, at a wedding feast. The celebration must continue. His hour begins while a wedding takes place. This is the beginning of a relationship that will last forever. The symbolism is rich between the wedding feast and the relationship, the love, between man and God. The Lord decides to marry his people, “for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part!” “Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?” Here we have a vivid reminder of the creation of man and woman and their fall – but also the promise, the vow, made by God to man: I will never leave you.

The Lord is present at the wedding and therefore the celebration will never end. When the wine runs dry, a disgrace or sin for the couple, it becomes the catalyst for God to bless the couple, his people, with grace upon grace, blessings and abundance. The Lord is all I need. There is nothing I shall want. There is nothing I shall need as long as He is with me through the long and difficult night.

The wine has not run dry. In fact, the quality has improved. Of course all were amazed! All are joyful! All are grateful. Is it so hard to see the parallel with the old and new wine and man’s beginning and his re-creation? The Pharisees, and John’s former disciples, cannot understand the reason for the celebration. They have eyes only to see the fall and not the grace; ears to hear only the past and not the promise; hands to touch the wound but not to cure; and tongues to speak about sin, but not about the Savior! In order for the celebration to last it will require a new wine in a new wine skin! There will have to be a new union, a lasting union, between men, and between man and God. A new heart, mind, soul, hands, tongue and a new pair of glasses are needed to recognize the amazing gift of grace, meaning and purpose the Lord of has given to us.

I must make it my constant duty to uphold, to the highest degree, the value of all that surrounds me. I cannot point out another’s weakness without guiding them in the right direction. I cannot condone without offering an acceptable sacrifice to the Lord. If I must correct, then it must be to help and not to hurt. I must remember that the temptation to wound is strong for we have fallen, we have all hit bottom. Rather than a curse, this should be a reminder that I can never give up on anyone.

Lord, help me to remember the graces and not the falls; the joys of the day more than the terrors of the night. I remember the times I have been hurt rather than the times I have been helped. The Pharisees were blind but their greatest sin was to make others blind as well.

Lord, increase in me a desire to point out the strengths of others; to be an authentic witness of grace. To appreciate, value, the life that has been given to me so that I can help others see the goodness of the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Father for your meditation today!

    I had never thought of the wedding of Cana in the terms you put it, "The Lord decides to marry his people..."! What a beautiful image!

    It is so hard for me to imagine myself having enough faith to profess vows to another person (in marriage that is)...I fear betrayal from the other, as well as my own weakness.Sometimes marriage seems an impossible vocation to me.

    But reflecting on the Wedding of Cana as the Lord's 'marriage' to his people has given me a renewed hope for attaining the faith and love required to live a holy marriage! God, who is perfect, chose to LOVE his people! He knew we would fail, even though he never fails us! If the Lord loves me with complete perfection, and the only sure return is that I will fall, how can I withhold my (imperfect) love from another? He has loved me beyond all imagining! The only response to such love is to give all I am in return.

    Have a blessed day Father Alfonse!

    - Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning padrecito,
    Your homily on Sunday was, as usual, a great one. I loved your stories to relate to the real message, and that message that I got was that we must be our authentic selves. But father, then what? I live my life true to who I am. I get myself in trouble actually too many times because I don't care what is "in" or what is "popular" and I don't care to follow the crowd. What you see is what you get, truly. Sure I have 1 or 2 skeletons in the closet, small ones, I'll pull those things out one day... so I go back to my question,then what. I am me.I don't hide under a disguise. I am what my heart and soul is. Then what? My guess to answer my own question is to just be, leave it in God's hands. Go with the flow, God's flow, don't fight it. be patient. pay attention. truth always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Lord marries us!"
    Thank you for this insight Fr. Alfonse.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.