Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jn 14:27-31a Finally, a Little Piece Of Peace

Jn 14:27-31a Finally, a Little Piece Of Peace

(Click here for readings)


“Do not be afraid…I have conquered the world…The peace I give to you is not a peace the world can give.”


Christ’s peace is an everlasting peace. It is authentic. It is honest. It is real. But it doesn’t always come now. “It is necessary for us to undergo many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God” (Acts 14:22). This is true. This is honest. This is a fact.


So, what are we to do? Today, while reflecting on the readings of the day, I was reminded in a unique way why I do my daily meditations. It is so that I have something good and meaningful to share with others. Every day, millions of people receive and send billions of text messages or e-mails to loved ones, friends and even strangers. Unfortunately, a lot of it is junk, meaningless or even downright nasty. As I was reading the Gospel passage for the day, I was blessed with the grace to appreciate the Apostles and disciples of the Lord who took the time to write down, on worthless parchments, priceless and timeless words that would one day bring inspiration to countless nameless and faceless people for centuries! If we did not have these words; if these men did not take the time to write down their reflections and experiences, would we, and the world, not be the poorer for it? Yes, we would. Thank you God for giving us men after your only Son’s heart. “Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your kingdom!” (Ps 145:12)


This is a peace we can give: to make known the Father’s glory, his pride and glory: His Son. Have we not been called, on a daily basis, to make Christ’s love known? How can I end the day without having done that? What a waste of time that would be! The earth, the universe, moves forward, never giving back what was wasted. Only the good moves on while the bad fades away. Death only happens once; life continues. Life on earth revolves around the Sun and rotates on its axis for a far deeper reason than science can ever provide. The winters and evenings provide the living being, with an eternal soul, a moment of reflection - time suspension - on what he did or could have done, while never going back or living what is lost.


This is the peace that only Christ can give. “In thinking of what could trouble me at death, that is to say past sin and future punishment, this thought came to me and I have made it my own; it is great consolation to me: at death, when my sins known and unknown trouble me, I will take them all and cast them at Our Lord’s feet to be consumed in the fire of his mercy.” (The Spiritual Direction of Saint Claude De La Colombiere)


“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” The peace that Christ, and only Christ, can give is the peace of knowing my life has meaning, my deeds have purpose and my words are eternal as long as they are always united to Him.


“I am going away and I will come back to you.” Christ has died, and only once. Christ is risen, now and forever. Christ will come again is guaranteed. This peace that Christ, and only Christ, can give is the supreme knowledge that I will too have a share in his life on earth and in heaven. This piece is the peace I long for!