Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Thursday, May 5, 2011

John 3:31-36 Whoever Believes Has Life

John 3:31-36 Whoever Believes Has Life
(Click here for readings)

How true, Lord, how true it is. Whoever believes begins to live. I want to live. Only you Lord have the words of everlasting life. Those who believe, your faithful few, engage the giants, kill the giants, and move on to the next giant. Your faithful can move mountains, climb over mountains, and endure the pain and agony of conquering the mountains. You invite us to overcome our fears, to share the Good News and give the gift of the Holy Spirit. You, Lord, came from above and you are above all things. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that cannot be defeated, overwhelmed, not even death. How I dread the fact that I shall have lived my life at fifty-percent. Is that good enough? Yes, some for you, some for me. Would you still love me? Yes, but I love you more.
If you think the Navy SEALs are tough you are right. But as one former Navy SEAL, Marcus Luttrell, put it, “John Paul II would have made a great Navy SEAL!” (- Lone Survivor) Why?

The Church is not in the business of eliminating their enemy but converting them. And if we think that was a tough mission - to capture or kill Usama Bin Laden, then imagine a team of highly skilled priests and nuns like John Paul II and Mother Teresa sent in with the impossible mission to convert him? Mission impossible? Not with God. Who knows, this guy may have preferred execution over exorcism, but as the title of this meditation suggests, “Whoever believes has life!”

The conversion of sinners is still a source of scandal, even in our “tolerant” psyche. “We must obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:27-33). These words should ring in our hearts and minds at all times. But we know better. We know the reality of our battles. Our feet are firmly planted on what is below rather than what is above. We love to ration the gift of the Holy Spirit. We have all heard it loud and clear: Do what is logical. Do what is sound. Take the safe and sure path. But the Gospel is far too clear to ignore. “The one who comes from above is above all. The one who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of earthly things.” What are the earthly things? Take it easy. Relax. Don’t rush into anything. Accommodate. Negotiate. Be flexible. Think practical. Think of yourself first. Don’t burn any bridges. Don’t take life so seriously.

I recently had breakfast with a wonderful mom who is currently going through some very rough times. She is experiencing spiritual purification. She told me all her troubles. They are many and they are serious. But what frightened me more than anything else was her question to me. “Is God upset with me? Am I doing something wrong?” I told her with all my heart and with total confidence in my words, “Absolutely not!” In fact, while all of this is happening she is reading a book entitled, Total abandonment. How providential! You see, ask and you shall receive! The Lord is providing, like always!

Today’s psalm highlights my point: Many are the troubles of the just man, but out of them all the LORD delivers him.” Amen! Am I allowing the Lord to deliver? Am I taking a leap of faith?

Let us place our trust in none other but the Lord. Let us not live the end of our lives regretting what we could have done or what we could have been. Life is too precious for regrets. It is a scarce reality in our Universe. Before we could see, we existed. Seeing is not believing; rather, believing is seeing. And we shall see the face of God at the end of our lives if we place him above all earthly things, for HE IS before it all was.

3 comments:

  1. Fr. Alfonse-

    Your link to the readings does not work.
    Are you OK? I was concerned when you did not post a blog for Wednesday.

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. "John 3:31-36 Whoever Believes Has Life" - Enough said!!!! This statement sums it all up. It's everything and hard. Believing is the most difficult especially when life throws you the proverbial curve ball(s).

    I read this a while back, and it has stuck with me. I'm Hoping the words become etched in my heart/mind. It was written by a Jew hiding from Nazi persecution -
    "I believe in the sun, even when it is not shining.I believe in love, even when I don't feel it.I believe in God, even when there is silence."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, it's there. I did two in one day. :-) I messed up the first meditation because it was the wrong day. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.