Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lk 8:4-15 Got Doubts?

Lk 8:4-15 Got Doubts?
(Click here for readings)

This is the meaning of the parable…for
the seed that fell on rich soil, they are the ones who, when they have heard the word, embrace it with a generous and good heart, and bear fruit through perseverance.

Yesterday, I received a bright light from the Holy Spirit, and it came from the most unlikely of places: a public restroom! I know…far too often, men find words etched in the back door of the toilets that could only be published in a bathroom. I guess if they had to be written, that would be the most appropriate place to do it, next to the toilet. But this time, I made a quick stop to wash my hands. It was a beautiful facility. The bathrooms were absolutely clean and pristine. But there were no paper towels, only a hand blower. I looked above the hand blower and read what the motivation behind this decision was. It read, “Go paperless! This device saves space in our landfills.”

As the years progress, I have become more and more of a skeptic in everything except religion. I’m no longer drinking the Kool aid. I no longer buy things because I think it will make me look better or feel better or be better. No! I buy whatever is the cheapest and settle for inevitable: that I will have to purchase it again. All products are for profit. Nothing is out of love.

So when I read this statement in the restroom I experienced an epiphany. I said to myself, “Oh, the hypocrisy of it all! How foolish is man (and woman…I assume the same statement was written in the female restroom as well)! Why do we believe these statements? Do they make us feel less guilty? Do they make us feel as though we are doing our part to save the planet? We went from paper bags to plastic bags and nothing more was heard of it. Now, the idea is to go from paper towels to hand blowers and how much space are we saving? Really! How much space in the gigantic landfill are we saving? Is it 1%? Is it less than 1%?

So I put the question to my young audience in a cynical manner and with a smerk on my face. I asked them personally, “What do you think? Is it really worth it to go paperless if you are only saving 1% of space in a land fill?” I was not suprised at all when they nodded their heads in agreement and looked at me with disbelief. They thought I was being too cynical. One brave soul said, “Yes, Father, it is.” “Very good”, I said to myself, this was exactly what I had expected to hear. So then I asked, “Is it still worthwhile going paperless if we are saving less than 1%?” Again, they all agreed. I loved it! Then I revealed to them my epiphany. I told them, “Then it must be worthwhile to go to Mass every Sunday even if you get very little out of it, less than 1%, right?” My point was simple, Its worth having faith even if you have less than 1% of it. Give it to the Lord, and he will help make it grow!

Oh, the hypocrisy of modern thought! It is bizarre how we are willing to live with doubts about ourselves, about our neighbor and about our society but not about God? We are willing to go along with organized government, but not with organized religion! How often do you hear the ridiculous comment, “I don’t believe in organized religion!”? Oh, the fallacy of hypocritical thought! I am more than willing to go blindly along with organized government that does some good but also crushes me, as well as my children, with the weight of debt, irresponsibility, nepotism and ineptitude; but I am not willing to submit to an organized religion that does a lot of good but occasionally falls into sin! Oh, the double standard of the hypocrite! The ingenuousness of the critic!

Take for example, divorce or contraception. The hypocrite will argue that it has brought some good to society. It has helped helpless women get out of hopeless situations! Yes, it can be argued that it has done “some good” by preventing further abuse from taking place. But, it must also be argued that it has done a lot of damage to the family and that it has been used by men/women to further their sexual portfolio or hide their sexual adventures!

So the hypocrite defends divorce and contraception because, although it has done a lot of damage, it still brings “some good” to the individual. Whereas when it comes to the Catholic Church, he will reluctantly admit that although it has done some good, it has done too much damage and therefore should not supported!

Oh, the irony of it all! If he were an honest man, he would say that it has done a lot of good for centuries and that it has always been plagued with evil men and women because it works with the human race. If he were truly honest and was truly interested in being a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem, he should boldly submit his resignation from the human race! After all, it is not the Church that causes scandals or betrayals or abuse…it is the human race that causes scandals, betrayals and abuse. If he truly were interested in eliminating evil, then he should consider eliminating himself!

Evil actions are always a crime within the Church; they are not always a crime in society! In fact, they are occasionally promoted!

"Blessed are they who have kept the word with a generous heart and yield a harvest through perseverance."