Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Luke 9:1-6 Abandonment vs. Loneliness

Luke 9:1-6  Abandonment vs. Loneliness
Jesus summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority… and he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick.  He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic.”
While I was working at Kodak, I enjoyed the benefits of a salary and excellent health insurance.  When I left the business world and entered the seminary, I lost both, my salary and health insurance.  So, for nearly twenty years, I never earned a salary and never had health insurance.  At first this was a huge concern to me, but I gradually began to trust in God and my concerns nearly vanished. I can honestly say I never got seriously ill while I was a religious.  Then, in 2010, I began the process of incardination in the Diocese of Dallas.  I immediately received health insurance.  And within a year, I was admitted into the emergency room at least three times!  Wow!
Interesting…
What is the moral of the story?  There might be a few.  (1) The Lord provides everything we need when we need it.  (2) The more we have, the more we worry.  [I find this one to be more in tune with my personality.]
Take nothing for the journey.  Of course the Lord wants his Apostles to take something with them.  But what is it?  What is the essential item?  What does He want us to take with us whenever we go somewhere or whenever we do something?  What are we supposed to never neglect, never abandon and never leave behind?  What are we supposed to keep in mind before we make an important decision? 
One word answer:  Himself.  The Lord wants us to take Him along our journey of life. 
Take me with you in what you do and where you go! 
The Lord sent His Apostles, two by two, and with less and less, to learn the meaning of divine abandonment:  to place their trust, their lives, their mission, their joy, their security and peace, and sanity and health in His hands. 
Of course it was not easy, but it was the best thing He could ever do.  The earlier we learn from this, the more successful (and peaceful) we will be.  Take a look and see for yourself. 
Have you ever noticed how pretty people worry a lot about their appearance?  And how all their worrying takes away nearly all their peace?  Teenagers are scared out of their minds if they don’t have this or don’t have that.  They weigh themselves incessantly; look at themselves far more often than occasionally; manicure and whiten just about everything.  Has this increased their sense of dignity and morality?  Has it made them more virtuous and less stressed?  Where has all their security gone?  I tell you it has gone out the window along with their smile and happiness.
Have you noticed how ‘ugly’ people do not worry about their appearances?  They live with what they got.  And they actually appreciate what they have received.  In fact, they focus on other things…and for the better. 
I never worried much about my appearance.  I knew where I stood.  And that allowed me to focus on other things, far more important things.  I learned to give my attention rather than to receive attention, and that has made a happy difference in my life.
Hold on to that which is eternal; let all that is temporal slip through your fingers.  It's okay.  It's actually a good thing.
The life of Christ (of his Apostles and disciples, martyrs and saints) was a life defined by divine abandonment and human simplicity.  He and his companions learned not to fret over what they did not have.  They learned to seek no more than they needed.  They neither lived in a mansion nor drove a Ferrari.  They dressed reasonably, not fashionably.  In fact, none of us exactly know what any of them looked like.  They did not have their portraits taken or a bust made in their image.  But with all their human limitations and empires fighting against them, they still managed to turn the other cheek, conquer the Roman Empire and turn it into one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. 
Now that’s the power of Divine abandonment...and the difference between loneliness. 

3 comments:

  1. some of the things that used to bother or concern me don't so much anymore. as I got older and matured, I began to realize that some things are not worth fretting about. For example,when I was in highschool, I always seemed to care about what I looked like on the outside. Perhaps more so on the out than in. I would spend the waking hours of the morning doing my hair and putting on makeup. Now I can't stand wearing makeup and I hate messing with my hair. Its such a pain in the behind! Now days, I just get up and go! And as for medical insurance, well...I have not had it for dome time now....but I am surviving. I have learned to put my trust in Him.

    Yes I believe that we all want to look and to be our best. who does't? but in what way? a Godly way? or in a worldy way? why were we created? to know, love and serve God and others? or to serve the "unholy" trinity, me, myself and I? by worrying or obssessing about appearance or not being secure finacially or physically is worldy. These things are mortal, they will pass away one day. all that will remain and live forever is our souls. I think its way better to have spiritual beauty and spiritual insurance rather than worldy beauty or worldly insurance. when our Lady first came to Medjugorje, the 6 children (visionaries) asked Mary childish question. they asked, "howcome you are so beautiful?" Mary replied, "I am beautiful because I love. So if you want to be beautiful, so then you must also love." These are some of my thoughts. :) blessings Father and all readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An insightful Meditation Father Alfonse.

    God bless u My Father and Have a bless Night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty is only skin deep. True beauty comes from inside oneself. If you recognize the Lord in your life why do you have to be obsessed with the way you look? The Lord made each and everyone of us and that's what' beautiful and not our obsession with having the latest treatments to look beautiful. I know of a man that goes to adoration almost everyday and think he lives on the street or in a shelter. He's beautiful because he recognizes the importance of the Lord in his life. He doesn't care about how he looks or what people think.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.