Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, December 8, 2012

Luke 3:1-6 Rough Ways Made Smooth

Luke 3:1-6  Rough Ways Made Smooth
(Click here for readings)

John went throughout the whole region of the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah:  A voice of one crying out in the desert:  “Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.  Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low.  The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.”

Yesterday I gave a talk at St. Michael’s Church out in Garland.  A participant wrote the following question to me:  A friend who was raised Catholic says she doesn’t need to go to Confession.  She asks God for forgiveness herself…She says she went to Catholic School and knows all about being Catholic.  How can I help her?  She won’t read anything.

I don’t know if this friend ever did this, but when I was a teenager, I would go to my room, look up to God and say my sins.  And, as if God were speaking to me, I would then whisper, “I forgive you”. 

Later in life, I came to the realization (and certainty) that the only one who had ever forgiven my sins was a trinity of persons:  me, myself and I.  And I had done it a thousand times. 

Just like a presumptuous child, I had presumed God’s forgiveness.  I never doubted myself for a moment.  After all, I was giving it for myself!

Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low.  What does that mean?  It means the humble shall be exulted (filled) and the prideful shall be leveled (made low).  For me, the most appealing aspects of the Sacrament of Reconciliation are confession and forgiveness; that is, to be able to say my sins out loud to someone other than myself, and to hear the words of forgiveness out loud, and from someone other than myself.  And not just someone:  a man in persona Cristi. 

Isn’t that humbling?  Isn’t that remarkable?  Isn’t that uplifting?  Isn’t that surprising?  Welcome to the crèche and the Cross!  Welcome to the joy of Christmas and the surprise of Easter Sunday!

What’s so humbling about confessing your sins to yourself?  What’s so remarkable about that?  That’s not uplifting.  That’s not even humbling.  That’s plain leveling!

John the Baptist went through the whole region of the Jordon removing road blocks and barriers.  He went throughout the region clearing the way for The Way.   

Have you placed certain restrictions on the Lord?  Will you follow him under certain conditions?

The truth of the matter is this:  We invite the Lord into our lives but He can’t even get through to our lives!  I went to a Catholic School and I know it all.  So don't bother me with the Catechism of the Catholic Church!

Are we wise or are we foolish?  Are we chasing after the wrong star? 

The star that leads to Christ is made of humility.  It does not shine for itself.  It shines for someone else. 

Be humble!  And you will find the Lord of Life in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.