Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, February 4, 2013

Mark 5:1-20 What Have You To Do With Me?

(Click here for readings)

Jesus and his disciples came to the other side of the sea…When he got out of the boat, at once a man from the tombs who had an unclean spirit met him…  Night and day among the tombs and on the hillsides he was always crying out and bruising himself with stones.  Catching sight of Jesus from a distance, he ran up and prostrated himself before him, crying out in a loud voice, “What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?  I adjure you by God, do not torment me.”

Right around Christmas time I was invited by a couple to come over for dinner.  I was a little surprised by the sudden invitation and asked if everything was okay.  “Well”, said the man, “we’ve been having some issues with our boys” (they have an eleven-year-old and a seven-year-old).  I asked what kind of issues.  Both husband and wife chimed in:  “They think they are the unluckiest kids in the world.  They’re constantly telling us that their friends are allowed to go to sleepovers, have a TV in their room, play all kinds of video games, like ‘Call of Duty’, and get a weekly allowance to spend however they see fit.  Father, we don’t know what to do about it!”

Well, neither did I. 

But then I received a light.  I asked the couple if their children had seen the movie, “Home Alone”.  They said they hadn’t.   I told them, “Then let’s have dinner and watch the movie with the kids.”  They were a little surprised and wondered aloud:  “Are you sure, Father?” 

“I’m sure.”

If you remember, the movie featured a little boy played by the child actor Macaulay Culkin.  The movie was an immediate hit and Macaulay warmed the hearts of millions of Americans and became an overnight idol.    

After we watched the movie, I asked the kids what they thought about it.  Of course they thought it was funny and very entertaining.  But it was only when I told the kids that Macaulay became a millionaire with this movie, that their eyes opened wide and their mouths dropped to their feet.  I had their attention and I could tell that they were filled with envy.  “He’s so lucky!  I wish I was like him…” 

“No you don’t”, I said.  “What?” they replied.  “Wait…Why not?” 

I then asked the parents if we could use their computer.  By now they knew exactly where I was going with this, so they quickly volunteered their laptop.  We googled Macaulay Culkin and the kids could not believe their eyes.  The child actor they had just seen had become a hardcore drug addict. 

“Guess what boys?” I said.  “He had it all and lost it all… and some.”  

For me, "having it all" and "losing it all" are like two sides of a coin.  It's a given. 

Do not torment me God!  Is God in the business of tormenting people?  Does He take pleasure in making our lives complicated and difficult?  Did God overstep His authority by giving us His Commandments?  Did He overreach when He sent His Son? 

A dose of Jesus Christ and His Commandments are a great prescription for healthy living.  No one will ever be able to convince me otherwise.  Why?  Because I’ve seen too much.  I know too much.  Those who do not pray, become predators and prey.  Discipline, structure and good habits are essential for steady progress.  Good habits will take us all the way home.  Bad habits will drag us all the way.

After the Lord healed the young man possessed by Legion, the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave their territory.  Amazing!  Absolutely amazing!  When I read this, I couldn’t believe it!  But then I got to thinking:  Of course!  It has to be this way.  After all, like them, we’ve grown accustomed to living with the obscene, the vulgar, the obnoxious, the filthy, the crazy, the disgusting and the outrageous.  What we’ve never grown accustomed to is living with Jesus Christ.

What does He have to do with me?

2 comments:

  1. I don't always get a chance to read your meditations daily, but when I do they speak to me. My husband has been battling spiritual warfare for years. Just when I think we are finally on common ground, he surprises me and goes back into his funk. He has had it all. He has had a wife who has stood by him during many a crisis, he has healthy children, a lovely home, he has earned very good money, wanted for nothing, and yet, he is losing it all right now. Losing his home because he squandered his money, lost his job because he followed the glitz rather than the security, losing his faith because he's too busy to give God a few minutes a day to pray, losing his wife because he can't be bothered to talk or spend time with her, losing his family because his wife can't live with the cold marriage that is void of anything remotely loving. I prayed a few weeks ago that if he has to lose it all, including me, in order for him to wake up, then help me bear with the cross and God's will be done. I never thought I'd give up, I always have hope. I was constantly sending him prayers to uplift him. Constantly creating family memories to show him what he had at home. Yet, it was never enough. All he wants is to follow anyone but the one that matters. And as you said above " those who do not pray become predators and prey". I am here to tell you YES, that is truth. I have seen this man fall for everything and stand for nothing. Why do I stay? Because I took vows. But, I can't imagine God wants me to put up with this kind of abuse. It may not be physical, but it is spiritually draining an killing my soul. My greatest prayer is that my children trust God and always remember that I taught them to pray! Father-pray for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Don't loose heart. Jesus knows exactly the graces you need when you need them. He is always with you and will not leave you. Ever! Perhaps through these trials, He is growing your soul and calling you into deeper union with Him in His passion. You will definitely be in my prayers. I hope God continues to give you the grace to fight for your marriage, for better and for worse. Leave it to Him. He loves you dearly.

      Katie

      Delete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.