Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mt 20:17-28 Pray For Another Holy Pope

As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the Twelve disciples aside by themselves, and said to them on the way, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, and hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will be raised on the third day.” 
We are going up to Jerusalem.  In today’s first reading, Jeremiah fears for his life and seeks God’s deliverance.  In today’s Gospel passage, the Lord embraces his death and seeks our acceptance and understanding.
Jerusalem is the city of God.  Judah is the land of His chosen people.  And while the Holy Land is holy indeed, it is also the place in which God’s prophets are constantly put to death by His chosen people! 
I have no problem understanding why an atheist ridicules and insults the Holy Father and our beloved Church.  I don’t have a problem with it because I don’t expect anything good from them.  On the other hand, I don’t understand how so many Christians, including a great number of Catholics, can be so ridiculous and insulting in their comments towards the Church and the Holy Father.
The people of Judah and the citizens of Jerusalem said, “Come, let us contrive a plot against him.  It will not mean the loss of instruction from the priests, nor of counsel from the wise, nor of messages from the prophets.  And so, let us destroy him by his own tongue; let us carefully note his every word.”
Why?  Why would they do this?  It can’t be for a good reason!  Hence, it must be for a bad reason.  It must be because they want poor Jeremiah to be more like...them.   Yes, that’s it!  They don’t want someone too holy.  They want someone like…them.
Yesterday, I received an e-mail from a friend who sent me a copy of a Catholic pastor’s message to his congregation.   I couldn’t believe my eyes!  I will not reveal the priest’s identity because I do not want to embarrass the man, but his message was, to put it kindly, “parochial”:  that is, very narrow-minded.  In fact, it was so narrow-minded that it could have been written by a politician!  And then I read that this pastor is a priest in the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C.  Surprise!  Surprise!  Surprise!
The pastor wrote to his community that he “hoped” that the next pope “would not be too holy, too healthy and too wise. In other words, they should select a regular guy.  That’s what I hope for:  a regular guy.”    
Maybe, what he should have written was what he was really thinking.  I hope they select a regular guy…someone like…me!  Hmmm…someone not too wise, not too holy and not too healthy (Now I wonder if he means physically or psychologically.  Oh, it makes no difference as long as he’s on meds).
In his timely message, this pastor expressed a lot of “hopes” he had for the next pope.  I’ll only mention a few of the more the unique ones:  “I hope we get someone who puts on his pants one leg at a time.  I hope we get a man with a sense of humor…who can tell a joke once in a while and laugh at himself.”  I don’t know about you, but when I read this, I asked myself if this individual had a camera in the Holy Father’s apartment!  How does he know such things about our pope?  Well, I think by now it’s awfully clear:  he doesn’t.  I think it is clear that this soul doesn’t know the Pope well at all.   
But I think I know what he is trying to say, and I wouldn’t doubt his congregation does too, for they have had the same pastor for nearly thirty years.  I’m sure by now they have become experts in interpreting and extrapolating as much as they can from his weekly parochial messages and jokes from the pulpit.
How sad.  How very sad indeed.
Resolution:  Let us pray the rosary for our next Pope.  That he may be very healthy, very wise and very holy!  (Someone not like me!)  That he be a man of his word and a man of The Word.

5 comments:

  1. I would pray for this priest's congregation! How could he possibly be leading down the right path. May God be with them! I wonder what they think. I would imagine there are some good Catholics in Washington D.C. They probably have left this parish. I know I would. Bless you, Father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts on how some who call themselves Catholic and their thoughts towards the pope:
    They don't know God. They don't know or read His Word. They don't have any idea that the Church is the Bride of Christ. They think because times are changing, therefore, the Church should adhere to the times, and so its obvious they don't realize that God never changes! They don't realize that the Church is of God - she is in this world but not of this world. Although the Church is filled with sinners, it will never, ever cave to the secular culture because the Church is lead by the Holy Spirit who will never lead us astray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably the same parish where Chris Matthews, Nancy Pelosi, Kathleen Sebelius and Justice Sotomayor all happily receive Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that Priest just wants to be loved by the media. That will work, sadly--at least in this age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "O God, in whose sight every soul may well fear and every conscience tremble, be gracious to every cry of sorrow, and HEAL THE WOUND OF SIN in all. Even as none of us is free from fault, so may none be stranger to your Mercy." Kyrie Eleison! Dear Jesus please convert this priest and congregation back to you as they are festering the wounds in the Mystical Body of Christ which is Our Holy Catholic Church!

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.