Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, March 12, 2013

John 5:17-30 The Father At Work In Us

Jesus answered the Jews:  “My Father is at work until now, so I am at work.”  For this reason they tried all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the Sabbath but he also called God his own father, making himself equal to God.”
When the Jews figured out who Jesus was making himself out to be, they tried all the more to kill him.  When the Apostles figured out who Jesus is, they tried all the more to imitate him. 
There are three kinds of people in the world:  those who love the Lord; those who could care less of the Lord; and those who hate the Lord. 
Unfortunately, some people in the first group are afraid to admit their love for the Lord.  They fear being mocked and ridiculed.  And so they tend to forget what our Lord experienced and what he also predicted. 
Those who belong to the second and third group tend to consider the first group as “privileged.”  They are correct, but only in the sense that Christ is the only religious leader that can be openly mocked and ridiculed in a society that claims to be “tolerant”.  Try mocking any other group in our society (other than Christians) and see how the political correct police come out in force. 
I’m not saying this to shock anyone.  We all know it’s true.  It’s just that I believe this is what happens to us when the Lord is not at work in us.
On another point, I recently read in the newspapers how some claim (again) that Christianity is a dying faith, especially among teenagers.  It turns out that religious fervor among teens is at an all time low.  Some experts would like us to believe that they have become “enlightened” as a result of it.  One would almost believe it if it weren’t for reality.  Luckily, other experts keep track of other key performance indicators for teens as well, such as number of teens on meds, busted for illegal drugs, on parole, in divorced families, with eating disorders and mental issues, in trouble with the law; and unable to read or write after graduating from High School.
I’m not saying this to shock anyone.  We all know it’s true.  It’s just that I believe this is what happens to us when the Lord is not at work in us.
Sometimes I wonder if our “social engineers” are not manipulating and bending our youth and families to near breaking point just to see how far (down) they can go in their quest to construct a new world order and/or specie!  Is this and the most recent decisions the best that a secular society can do for the modern man?  Make certain soft drink sizes illegal and soft drugs legal? 
I find it all ridiculously funny and pathetically prophetic!
The Father at work in us.  As the Father wished to work through His Son, so now the Son would love to work through us.  Let’s give Him permission!  Let’s allow the Lord to be the greatest influence in our lives.  Nothing else!  What does it take?  Humility. 
This past Sunday, a young man came up to me and introduced himself to me after Mass.  He asked me if I knew his mother.  I told him I didn’t.  He asked me if I had heard of him.  I told him I hadn’t.  It was then that he told me it had been ten long years since he had stepped foot inside a Catholic Church.  He couldn’t believe that the Gospel of the day had been the Prodigal Son.  He thought that maybe I had selected it just for him.  I told him I hadn’t but was glad the Lord had. 

This is what happens when the Lord works through His Mystical Body, the Church.
Resolution:  I allow the Lord to take charge of all my words and actions.  Whatever I say and do, I will say it and do it with the Lord.  In other words, I say it and do it with Love.   
Therefore, in all the people I meet, in all the distractions that come in front of my path, I will greet them and meet them as if this “meeting” had been organized by the Lord himself.  Nothing will be considered as random when it comes to “distractions.”  No one will be considered as random when it comes to people getting in my way.  When it comes to sharing the Good News with others, this time, this place, this person will not be considered as random but instead the Lord’s time, the Lord’s way, and the Lord’s face.   

2 comments:

  1. Your resolution reminds me of this song I love called "Mistaken". I listen to it all the time, especially when I catch myself acting like a real pharisee.

    http://youtu.be/-L0jRJD_u1Y

    "Do they only see who we are
    When who we are should be pointing them to Christ
    Cause we are who He chose to use
    To spread the news
    Of the way the truth and the life
    Oh I want all I am to die
    So all He is can come alive

    Til everyone I talk to hears His voice
    And everything I touch feels the warmth of His hand
    Til everyone I meet
    Sees Jesus in me
    This is all I wanna be
    I wanna be mistaken for Jesus
    Oh I wanna be
    Oh I need to be mistaken for You, Lord"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I am going to say this right but here goes . . . Scientists believe what we call random is truly not random; there is a practice called mindfulness and being particular to notice the good or being aware of the things around you; and then there is our brain which science and therapists conclude that after a trauma/unexpected event the brain "disconnects" and thru therapy the therapist establishes a connection for trust and in essence finding their " love or faith" and once that can be achieved everything else in the work is "easier."

    What my point is: Science has proved our body is wired to love and trust. And whom better to love and trust than God who made us. And if we don't take time to see God in others and see God in our actions then we lose our purpose and fall away from him .

    Ms.Paredes once told me their is no better counselor than the Bible which is the Word of
    God.

    How easy life would be if we follow Jesus' teaching to love one another and trust that through him (who is our faith) we will be saved. : )

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.