Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mt 14:13-21 Little Do We Know

Mt 14:13-21 Little Do We Know


(Click here for readings)


"The disciples approached Jesus and said, 'This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.' Jesus said to them, 'There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves. But they said to him, 'Five loaves and two fish are all we have here."


A few days ago a gentleman approached me after Mass and wanted to share a story with me. I told him, "I love a good story. Go ahead." Here is his story.


It literally all began when a ten year-old boy approached me and asked me if I wanted to buy a rosary. This boy has been making rosaries out of legos and has been selling them over the summer. I told him, "Sure. How much?" I was stunned when he said, "Twenty dollars!"


"Twenty dollars!," I replied. He said, "It takes a lot of time to make one and the cost of the materials is pretty high!" Well, I thought it was just too high for a rosary and told the lad that I couldn't afford it.


Throughout the day I felt bad. I couldn't get this kid out of my head. So the next time I saw him I bought a rosary from him. He had lowered the price for me but I refused to pay any less than twenty dollars.


Now for the miracles. When my daughter was having a rough time in her marriage, I gave her a rosary and you know what? They are doing just fine today.


I decided to buy another rosary for a relative of mine who was very sick and needed surgery. I told her to pray the rosary and she did. Guess what? She no longer needs to have surgery.


I bought another rosary and gave it away and another miracle occurred.


Father, all those who have received a rosary have received a miraculous blessing! But now I have a problem. I asked him, "You have no more money?"


He said, "No! There is someone else who is sick and could use this rosary but they are not a believer! What should I do?" I told him, "Buy a rosary and give it to them. It isn't you who decides, it is Christ who decides."


In today's Gospel, the Lord feed at least five thousand men, not including the women and children. The Lord knew every single one of them. We don't. There are some things we can do like provide five loaves and two fish. There are some things we cannot do like multiply them and fill twelve baskets of fragments.


Little do we know what we can do. Little do we know what the Lord can do.


Allow yourself to follow the Lord. Open your heart and be generous in your giving. The Lord will open His heart and surprise you in a way you least expected.