Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mt 7:6-14 Faith: A Narrow Gate

Mt 7:6-14  Faith:  A Narrow Gate
Jesus said to his disciples:  “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction…How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life.  And those who find it are few.” 
“You are so narrow-minded!” said the child to his teacher.    “Yes”, replied the teacher, “2+2=4.  Sorry.  But this truth can open up the entire Universe to our understanding.” 
Considering how wild, chaotic, cold, deadly and dark is the Universe that surrounds us; I find it amazing how one tiny place could be so ordered, calm, warm, comfortable and cozy.  It seems as though our solar system successfully passed through the narrow gate and constricted road that led to life. 
Of all the things that could have gone wrong, it is amazing how the earth went so right.  The earth avoided the wide and open gate of destruction and passed through the narrow gate and constricted road to a living organism.
Considering all the tyrannical and suppressing forces in play in evolution, it is striking just how kind it was to man.  He was given the freedom to break from instinct.  He was given a desire to paint, to build, to discover, to speak, to laugh, to sing, to cook and to love.  It seems as though man successfully avoided the wide open gate of the animal kingdom and passed through the narrow one to a king’s Kingdom.
When I consider how similar we all are in our biology; and how dependent we are to our chemistry, I find it remarkable at how unique I can be, for I have seen that I can successfully avoid being what I was conditioned or labeled to be by simply aiming for a smaller gate than the one that was left for me. 
I can travel down the less traveled road, and take aim at a much higher goal, if I take what is inside of me and wrap it around the one that went ahead of me. 
How do I do this?  How can I enter through the narrowest of gates?  How can I squeeze through the eye of a needle?  How can a grown man be born again? 
Simple:  Faith in Jesus Christ.  My faith is not based on feelings.  My faith is based on facts.  Those who wish to be great must pass through the narrow gate of humility.  I asked the Lord to humble me and he is trying.  I gave Him permission to silence me and he did.  He invited me to be simple and I accepted his invitation.  The Lord asked me to re-evaluate my goals in life and I did; I found my life.  He encouraged me to look beyond my sight; to love beyond myself; to live outside of my skin.  I will try and continue to try so help me God. 
Our desire to love and be loved has not changed.  But our way of going about it has.  It seems all the more elusive than ever before.  I find that when people experiment with what is new, thrive on what is thrilling, and seek what is appealing, they are really on an adventure to find meaning, happiness and love in their life.  I find it so tragic that after so many centuries and so many attempts, so few ever encounter what they went out in search of.  Their temptation is to think it is a lost cause.  But the road of deception is wide and open. 
Of all the choices the Lord could have made; of all the things he could have said; of all the things he could have been, He made the singular choice to avoid the wide and easy road to honors and privileges and instead passed through His Father's constricted road that leads to everlasting life. 
The probability of finding life on another planet is as remote as encountering an alien on earth.  The problem is not with the Universe.  The problem is not with God.  The problem is with us.  We may not be ready for such an arrival.
The probability of finding a canonizable Saint on earth is as remote as encountering the Lord on earth.  The problem is not with God.  The problem is with us.   We are sinners.  We think as grand and mistaken as men think and not as narrow and small as God thinks.  If only we had faith the size of a mustard seed! 
The problem is with us.  Not all of us are ready to do what it takes to be a Saint.  Not all of us may be ready to be a Saint.  We know that by the way we treated the Lord upon His arrival. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice meditation, Father. A nice ending to a very busy day...

    Just a few minutes ago, I opened a bag of Lavender/Chamomile herbal relaxing therapy tea. The little hang tag attached to the bag read: "Your choices will change the world." Then, I read your words about how the Lord "made the singular choice to avoid the wide and easy road to honors and privileges and instead passed through His Father's constricted road that leads to everlasting life." Wow! If I choose to follow the narrow gate to eternal life, there's so much to look forward to. (God-inspiring, God-fearing choices make a difference in the world.) Genuine humility and love is something I'm striving towards. It's such a struggle. I know at this point in my life, with my faults and failings, I'm no where near ready to be a Saint. (Probably never will be!) I'm trying to work on one virtue at a time. Simplicity seems to be the easiest. Letting go of all of the unnecessary "stuff" I have and not trying to accumulate more "stuff" naturally makes me less selfish. This way I can be more loving, more charitable, and more humble.

    Blessings,

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the last two years I have been trying to be the person that God made me to be.....at the end of my life or at least farther into the future. I have been on an impossible quest. As I reflect I can see how I made myself miserable trying to be something I am not meant to be, at least at this point in time. As I look back, I can see how his timing is perfect. I wasn t ready for certain things that I am now ready for.

    As I have been on this quest, I can see how the road doesnt just start out narrow but as I move along it gets more and more narrow. At times it can be like an overgrown trail that has not been traveled before, one that I have had to chop the weeds as I have gone down it.

    I am learning to work toward what God wants right now not what he wants me to be when Im 80.

    I hope I dont disapoint him the way Ive disapointed myself.

    But I guess he knows where I am supposed to be right now and he s ok with it.

    Lord help me be who you made me to be when you want me to be it.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.