Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, August 26, 2013

John 1:45-51 Finding Jesus

Feast of St. Bartholomew
(Click here for readings)

Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one about whom Moses wrote in the law, and also the prophets, Jesus son of Joseph, from Nazareth."  But Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come from Nazareth?"  Philip said to him, "Come and see."

Jesus found Philip.  Philip found Nathanael.  Nathanael found Jesus. 

"Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your Kingdom" (Ps 145:12).

Who was it that brought you to Christ?  Was it your parents?  Was it a relative?  Was it a neighbor or friend?  Was it a boyfriend or girlfriend?  Was it an atheist? 

Well, whoever it was, you should thank them today, immediately! 

I have many people to thank, but one in particular.  She was an old girlfriend who worked with me in the same department at Kodak.  Although we were close in proximity, we were miles apart in faith.  She had it.  I did not.

Every morning I would go to work and find a inflated balloon in my office.  I hated it.  It was always from her, and I knew what I was supposed to do with it:  I was supposed to pop it and read a little piece of paper that had an inspirational bible verse written on it.  I dreaded it.  I thought she was a religious fanatic!

Now look at me today!

Although our relationship never blossomed, and we ended up going our separate ways, I still need to thank her, for she wasn't afraid to share her faith with me and suffer the consequences for it. 

She never thought that faith had to be sacrificed for "romance" or personal beliefs for a relationship.  This is remarkable.  Looking back at our time together, I can honestly say that this young lady was far more mature than I was.  In the face of so much ridiculing (sarcasms and sophisms hidden by bombastic phrases), this woman never buckled in her quest to win my soul for Christ.    

I need to start thanking all those people who brought me to Christ Jesus.  Most of them are alive.  Some have been dead for nearly a century.  It doesn't matter.  They are all my friends.

"Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your Kingdom" (Ps 145:12).

Who have you brought to Jesus Christ?  We have a lot of people to thank, but do we have anyone that will thank us?  Have I brought anyone closer to our Lord?   Have I invited anyone to come closer to the Lord?  If not, then reach out to some of your friends, family members and even past enemies.

The Lord does not ask us to convert anyone.  He asks us to simply proclaim the Good News.  We would be foolish to think that our words or actions could replace God's words or actions; that our presence could replace the Holy Spirit's presence.  Only the Lord knows the hearts of His people.  Only He knows us by heart. 

We are simply his beloved instruments that have come to know and believe that Jesus is our greatest treasure.

Share this blog with others.

3 comments:

  1. Father Alfonse - Does your old girlfriend know you became a priest? If so, I wonder if she follows your blog......

    I always think God places special people in our lives to help us grow closer to Him. I thank a sorority sister for introducing me to the Catholic faith in college. I remember seeing her with ashes on her forehead one Ash Wednesday. I never understood the significance but just thought of it as a "Catholic thing." Two years after graduation I made the "leap of faith" and joined the Church. It's the best decision I ever made!!

    Years later I became engaged to a nice gentleman. He decided to convert to Catholicism so that we could get married at St. Ann. I was his sponsor in RCIA. We really enjoyed the classes together. I was so proud when he entered the Church. Unfortunately, I decided to break the engagement. I didn't feel it was the right time to get married. We went our separate ways. He married someone else; however, he still regularly attends Mass to this day. He always said my devout faith inspired his own conversion.

    I always hope when I serve communion or lector at Mass that I act as a conduit. That is, I am able to bring the shining light of Christ to others....And now I understand as a lay single Catholic I'm given unique opportunities to evangelize that may not be as effective if I was married.

    I hope your week is less hectic!

    Blessings,

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Thank you for being great Good Shepherd! I discovered this daily blog 2 years ago. It has taught me sooooo much. Thank you too for spending time with my son and girlfriend Sunday morning. Thank you too for the amazing homily Firiday morning at the Holy Spirit Acts retreat. John said you knocked it out of the park. Every retreatant was very moved and team. I would like to thank your Kodak girlfriend too. I also thank the Holy Spirit and praise God for giving us priests like you, and several others I stalk on blogs and you tube or Ewtn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for all who have shared their faith with me... In the words of my mam, "Faith is caught not taught." It is very good to stop and reflect; remembering them in our prayers... Thank you Fr!

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.