Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mt 7:15-20 Bruised Washington Apples

Wedneday of the Twelfth Week In Ordinary Time


Jesus said to his disciples:  “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves.  By their fruits you will know them…Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.”

Over the years, I have come to the same conclusion that Christ and the Church came to long ago:  namely, that people are good. 

I can honestly say that I have never met an evil person.  What I have met are good people with some bruises.  And some have more bruises than others. 

We have all fallen.  We are all bruised up a bit.  Some more than others, but there is still a good deal of good that remains in each of us.  Ask the Lord.

Yesterday was a zoo in the Texas Senate Hall.  Abortion rights advocates, present above the Senate floor, shouted and screamed hysterically to prevent our duly elected officials from voting on an issue they did not like.  They succeeded.  They got away with it…for now.   But for me, it became just another clear case example of the hypocrisy of the Pro-Choice movement and their inconsistencies of thought.  Are they not for the rule of law?  Are they not for democracy?  From the pictures taken last night, you would think (foolishly) that they represented the will of the people of Texas better than their elected representatives.  They did not.  They prohibited them. 

For years now we have heard from the mouths of abortion rights advocates that they want abortions to be rare, safe and legal.  Well, the bill that failed to become law would have made abortions rarer, safer and still legal.  So do they really mean what they say?  If so, then why were they so vehemently against it? 

Oh, the on-going hypocrisy of the Pro-Choice movement!  It would be all so comical, if it weren’t all so barbarian! 

Their own rhetoric has caught up to them.  Their very own words shame them.

State Senator Wendy Davis (D), who filibustered the bill, and occasionally had tears in her eyes, spoke for hours on the Senate floor about women and abortion.  Now I, along with so many others, could have done the same.  I could have spoken for hours, and with tears in my eyes, about what abortion does to a woman and to her child.  I could have mentioned to the Senate how almost every woman that did it felt as if they had no choice.  I could have mentioned how every woman who didn’t do it lived not to regret it their decision.  But it would have done me no good, for my opponents and their supporters, instead of judging me according to my arguments, would have judged me for being a man.  Oh, the hypocrisy of far too many women in the Pro-Choice movement.  When it comes to abortion, they go back to old-fashioned antics of stereotyping people, especially men.  But when it comes to everything else, they fight hard to stop stereotyping, insisting that they are as good as men, and as bad as them as well.     
Slogans and propaganda are their substance.  Rhetoric and screams represent their depth.  Oh, the hypocrisy of double standards!  The hypocrisy of the Pro-Choice movement.

Today, the Supreme Court justices ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional. 

Well, given today’s decision, I am sure that someone right now, a “trailblazer” in “human rights” and a person with “great vision,” is drawing up plans for a new bumper sticker, one that will inaugurate the next social battle.  I’m not an artist, but I think they may consider something like this:     


This is no joke.  In fact, this is probably more biblical than the current battle for marriage "equality."  But I am sure this is next…not now; but in the future, and with more to come!

Let me just reiterate what I said at the very beginning.  No one is perfect.  No one is perfectly good.  We all have our bruises.  But the idea is to get rid of them, not (let Washington) add more of them. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up hope yet, Fr. Alfonse. Looks like Rick Perry's just called another session & the abortion law will be front & center this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bumped into you Father at St. Monicas a couple of weeks ago, and here is the amateur blog link I mentioned.

    http://guykim.tumblr.com/

    Keep up the amazing work btw. Woot woot. I know you must have thousands of emails but here is mine if you get the chance.

    guykim.nguyen@gmail.com

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.