Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, April 24, 2015

Jn 6:52-59 The Way

Friday of the Third Week of Easter
(Click here for readings)

By FR ALFONSE NAZZARO

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.  For my Flesh is true food, and my Blood is true drink.  Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood remains in me and I in him.

Get in other peoples lives.  As Americans we pride ourselves in our independence.  We do not want to be dependent on anyone.  That's a tragedy given the fact we are social creatures by nature, and that we need each other.

If you still have doubts, then examine Christ's words:  "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of Man and drink his Blood, you do not have life within you."   In other words, in order to "get a life" you must share your life with others. 

Christ's words should be taken spiritually as well as physically.  He wants to share his life fully, and not just psychologically, emotionally, figuratively and subjectively.  He wants to get into our lives.

Why?  So that we find The Way.

"Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priests and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus that, if he should find any men or women who belong to the Way, he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains" (Acts 9:1-2).

Seek first the Kingdom of God.  This morning I celebrated Mass for some Juniors on retreat.  If you don't remember, then let me remind you:  Junior year can be a very stressful year.  There are SAT's and ACT's, Prom, applications for scholarships and colleges, etc... 

While speaking to some of them, I noticed that a lot of them were really stressed out!  I don't blame them.  Again, there's a lot of pressure on them from themselves and from family, friends, boy/girl friends to perform academically, athletically and even "physically."  Therefore, during my homily I wanted to make sure I didn't add any extra stress to their lives.  I used the words of Christ to inspire them and to encourage them to seek something above all other things.

Where does stress come from?  Does it come from what is above or from what is below; from God or from ourselves (and neighbors);  from what God expects from me or from what others expect from me? 

The Lord knows a lot about stress because He knows us.  And because He knows us, His words resonate so well with us.  His most famous sermon begins with the words, "You have heard that is was said..."

I took these words and applied them to today's teens...

"You have heard that is was said:"
- You have to have the perfect look...
- You have to get a scholarship...
- You have to get into this school...
- You have to become a cheerleader...
- You have to get selected on the football team...
- You have to get all A's...
- You have to get a "5" on your AP exam...
- You have to have a boy/girl friend...
- You have to be popular...
- You have to fit in...
- You have to be a leader...
- You have to be at the top...
- You have to be the best...
- You have to be perfect...
- You have to be more than human...

"But I say to you..."

+Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Mt 6:33).


So what does it look like when we put other things before God?  May I show you?  It's a true story. 

Have you heard of Mackenzie Moretter, the ten year old girl who suffers from a rare genetic disorder that makes it hard for her to socialize? Well, her mother organized a birthday party for her tenth birthday.  She sent out invitations to all of Mackenzie's classmates.  Unfortunately, none of her classmates responded; which really means that none of the parents responded. 

This is what it looks like when we put other things before God.  Sad.

But when we seek first the kingdom of God, then all hell freezes over and the magic begins! 

Mackenzie's mom had an idea, a scriptural idea (cf. Mt 22:1-14).  Not giving up, she decided to invite strangers via Facebook to her daughter's party.  To her surprise, hundreds of people showed up, including a Minnesota Vikings player and his family, and a woman dressed up as Elsa from Frozen.

To her surprise, people of all ages came with gifts, food, party favors and even a banner that read, "Happy Birthday Mackenzie."

To her amazement, local companies donated food and people brought chairs to the area.

To her utter astonishment, the Mayor of Shakopee issued a proclamation announcing that Saturday would be Mackenzie Moretter Day, giving the girl a signed certificate of the declaration.

Even the local Fire Department showed up and gave kids a chance to hop on their fire trucks!

Oh the magic of life!
Oh the magic of faith, hope and love! 
Oh the magic of humility, empathy and mercy! 
Oh the magic of Christ's life, death and resurrection! 

Seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be given to you.

This is The Way.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe that if we put first the Kingdom of God, then everything will be given to us but I am guilty as charged to be one of the parents that put pressures to my kids. This is a good reminder for me as a parent to teach my kids to put God first..

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.