Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Jn 14:27-31a Peace I Give To You

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter
(Click here for readings)

By FR ALFONSE NAZZARO

Jesus said to his disciples:  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give it to you."

Every morning I celebrate Mass to a large group of worshippers.  I know what drives them to our house of prayer:  Jesus Christ.  They seek Jesus.  They seek the Lord.  They seek the peace that only the Lord can give.

Shalom.  Peace...my peace I give to you.  And what exactly is the Lord's peace?  It must be something very special, for the world cannot give what we so desperately seek.  

I see a lot of familiar faces, as I look out at my congregation, but I cannot say for sure I know what they hold deep in their hearts and minds. 

What are they thinking about?  What are they worried about?  What are they going through?  What are their fears? 

So I offer general prayers for peace in the world, especially in the Middle East, and for all those who suffer from persecution, loneliness and illness.

The peace that only Christ can give can only mean one thing:  I am with you till the end.    

Only His peace can keep still my restless heart.  Only His assurance can keep still my mind from going a million miles a minute. 

A few days ago I spent some time with a man who has only three months to live.  As a child, he attended Catholic school and was an altar boy.  But as an adult, he distanced himself from God and the Church.  Now, he has some regrets that haunt him and that do not allow him to sleep at night.  What he fears most is not death, but whether or not he lived a good life.  A good friend recommended he speak to a priest.  I was asked to visit him.

I am with you till the end.  Dying is a very lonely affair.  When we tell our family and friends that we only have three months to live or one year to live, but all they can do is shake their heads in disbelief and say a few words like, "I'm so sorry to hear this."  They can do nothing more.  

There is a peace that only faith can give and only hope can inspire and only love can restore.  This is the peace that only God can produce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.