Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, May 11, 2015

Jn 15:9-17 Remain in Me

Sixth Sunday of Easter
(Click here for readings)

By FR ALFONSE NAZZARO

Jesus said to his disciples:  "As the Father loves me, so I also love you.  Remain in my love.  If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love."

Remain in me.  Regardless of what happens to you; regardless of what people do to you; regardless of who you are or what you have done, remain in my love. 

Before demanding from His followers that they keep His Father's commandments, the Lord commands His disciples to "remain in my love."

You don't have to be perfect; you don't have to be useful; you don't even have to be number one.  All you need to do is remain in His love. 

When good times strike, consider it a blessing.  When bad times strike, consider it an opportunity to show the world who you believe in.

A friend of mine recently told me a story about his former boss and how downright unethical he was in his financial books and with his clients. Unfortunately for my friend, the good guys didn't win and he was forced out.  That was twenty years ago. 

Then all of a sudden, a few weeks ago, he received word that his former boss had been arrested on assault charges.  Instead of gloating about it or sending him a quick little "what goes around comes around" email, my friend decided to write him an encouraging email and to pray for him.  His former boss - former enemy - couldn't believe it.  He thanked my friend and was extremely happy to hear from him.

There is such a thing as forgiveness! 

Remain in me, as I remain in you.  As the Father loves me, so I also love you.

We, as Christians, have been called to remain in Christ; in other words, to follow Him - in every word and deed - whether convenient or inconvenient.  His words and actions inspire.

But we have also been called to remain in each other; that is, with our Christian sisters and brothers - whether convenient or inconvenient.  Through Him, with Him and in Him, we are all connected. 

Without ever realizing it, as my friend told me his story, he was inspiring me to imitate him, and in no less a manner as Christ's words inspire me to imitate Him.

Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him and we will come to him.   

As the Father loves me, so I love you.  These words are just too profound to overlook them.  As the Father loves me - imagine for a moment how the Father loves His Son.  This is not some sentimental statement.  This is deep and intense! 

And in just the same way...the Son loves me!

As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Wow! WOW!WOW!

How can anyone read this...and just keep reading on??? At Mass I had to pause for a moment.  Really!  It was just too much to take in.  These words are truly deep, yet reassuring; intense yet comforting.  This is the reality of Christ and the mystery of faith.

Why does the Son love us so much?  Is it because of what He can accomplish through us?  No.  Is it because He needs us?  Not really.  Then why?  I believe it is because of who we are:  His brothers and sisters.  He loves us because we were created in the image and likeness of God.

And that's enough.



  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.