Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mk 3:20-21 By My Side

Mk 3:20-21 By My Side

(Click here for readings)

What side are you on?

It is sad, very sad, that even St. Paul and the early Christians experienced divisions within the Church. Right from the very beginning, because of sin, we have a propensity, a tendency, a leaning towards division, separation, of taking sides. (cf. 1Cor 1:10-17)

If I must take a side, then the best side to take is by the side of Christ.

This may come as a surprise to you, but Christians do not take sides. They reach out and cross the lines of division. They break down barriers. They do not really believe in separation of state and religion because the state needs Christ and Christ needs us! There is a big difference between establishing a religion and hiding religion from public view. The Christian, especially the Catholic Christian is trained and programmed by our Lord to knock down any walls of division. After all, what could be more moral or more loving than to help someone cross the abyss of lies, sickness and death, poverty of mind, soul and body - of sin? Is that not what Christ did for me?

Today at Mass, we had the presentation of the candidates for RCIA. I told them how division within the Church is the greatest scandal that ever took place. Divisions within the Church and among our separated Christian brothers and sisters has caused so many wounds in the body of Christ. As I looked at all the candidates I could not help but say, Today, I believe that the Lord is smiling. By being here I want you to know that you are healing a wound in the body of Christ. Or even better, you made his wounds worthwhile. You’ve come back to Him.

The Lord is disgusted by division because it breaks the unity between God and man, and man with his neighbor. What binds all mankind together is love and truth. Both are necessary. How can I love someone if I am not truthful to them? How can I be truthful to someone without love? Believe me, it makes sense. Think about it for a moment.

Love unites. We show our love by expressions of unity: holding hands, hugging – that is, eliminating, reducing, the space between us, or that which separates us from each other. When we make eye contact, we unite two hearts and minds so as to communicate our deepest thoughts and desires. The fruit of that love is unity: two becoming one, which becomes three, which is an image and likeness of the Holy Trinity.

Let us pray to the Father that we stand by His Son’s side, the One who crossed the depths and heights to hold us in the palm of his hand.

3 comments:

  1. Father Alfonse,
    This is the first time I've ever read your blog fully and paying close attention. I'm glad I did. Your masses are always entertaining and I never know what is going to come out of your mouth! You are one of my idols! I don't even want to think about what my life would be like if you hadn't become a priest, I am SO thankful you did! Thank you so much for everything you've done for me and my family. I will pray for you! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idols please...just prayers, ok?? I could use all the prayers that I can get. Thank you so much for your kind words. And without you and the support of so many, I would not be a priest today. Believe me, people like you support and inspire priests much more than we inspire you. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so happy you snuck in a mini homily today at mass.

    I decided on this time mass for church today even though it was so early and I didn't get to bed til after 2 am. (went to a country music concert, Tracy Lawrence, at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth)You were giving the early masses, so I just had to go early then, to hear your homily, plus I had invited my cousin that just moved here from El Paso.But then what happened? You sat down. Oh no, no homily from the padrecito this morning.Gosh darnnit, it was the dreaded yearly money talk. Bishop did it so eloquently though. Still...we were so disappointed we didn't get to hear your homily.

    Then as we were on our knees praying, as you were "cleaning the dishes", there it was...you began to speak. alleluya!

    love and truth, no separation, we hug to eliminate that space between us.

    Thank you padrecito

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.