Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, January 31, 2011

Mk 5:1-20 Man In Chains

Mk 5:1-20 Man In Chains

(Click here for readings)

“…God chose the lowly of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something, so that no human being might boast before God.” (1Cor 1:28)

What beautiful commentary! It is worth mediating on for hours. “Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord” (Ps 31:25). The man in chains had his chains finally broken by the man with the key to life!

Again, it is a call to humility; a call to place your life in the Lord’s hands. Allow him to take possession of it. Allow the Holy Spirit to dwell in you so that He can do great things through you. We have the examples of the ancients from long ago: Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets, “who by faith conquered Kingdoms, did what was righteous, obtained the promises; they closed the mouths of lions, put out raging fires, escaped the devouring sword out of weakness they were made powerful, became strong in battle, and turned back foreign invaders.” (Heb 11:33-34)

The Lord is calling us to holiness through humility. The Beatitudes are the wakeup call, the call to arms, for all those who wish to fall into His arms – to be His followers! He thirsts! He desires! He is dying to configure us into his image and likeness. He wants His Light to radiate through this little candle of mine. The Lord loves the meek and humble of heart. He loves those who love those who do not love. This is how he multiples himself, by going after the lost sheep, the lost son, the possessed, the forgotten, the lowly and despised of the world. He proves over and over again that wealth and power have nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with holiness. In fact, they are an obstacle. “Whoever wishes to lose his life for my sake, will gain it.”

We live in a period of time where devotion and church attendance appears low and skepticism and self-love appear to be at an all-time high. But the Gospel message rings loud and clear, and in a way that continues to bewilder society at large. The Lord continues to call men, women and children to holiness, and we bear witness to the birth (and death) of Saints. He continues to do so even in the least likely of places. The call to righteousness continues. The Lord brings to the front the least, the unlikeliest, the last and makes them first.

Where? Where are the meek and humble of heart? Mark Wahlberg, a daily communicant, is not a saint because he is a fighter, and went from rags to riches over night. He is a living testimony of the humility of a simple priest who never gave up on him, even as the one time juvenile delinquent was smirking at him and lying through his teeth! Humility never gives up on anyone and neither do the saints!

Young Jordon Rice of Australia is not a saint because he had to make the toughest decision in his life. He is a saint because he made it! Out of humility he lived the Gospel truth: No greater love has man than to lay down his life for his brother.

No one should ever idolize a young American simply because he sings well, but Chris Medina deserves the title of American Hero because he refuses to walk out on his severely injured fiancé. Chris is worthy of respect and admiration because he broke the chain of selfishness and embraced the ring of commitment. After all, a holy man is someone who imitates our humble God, who bore all our infirmities and iniquities for our sake.

Let us all help those in chains by breaking them and restoring them to life!

6 comments:

  1. This meditation was great. Simple but not simplistic!

    "Man in Chains"
    - Makes me think of my many, many chains I bind myself with.

    "Again, it is a call to humility; a call to place your life in the Lord’s hands. Allow him to take possession of it. "
    - Music to my ears.

    "He loves those who love those who do not love. This is how he multiples himself, by going after the lost sheep, the lost son, the possessed, the forgotten, the lowly and despised of the world. He proves over and over again that wealth and power have nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with holiness. "
    - A call to action! We are the body of Christ! Use me Lord until I am used up and then use me some more!

    "Mark Wahlberg"
    -Any mention of a Bostonian will make my day!

    Have the best day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i knew you'd work in the reference to Jordan in Australia sooner or later! I pray that we may all be so selfless. My Aussie friends will be so pleased when i share this meditation with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Fr. Alfonse,

    Thank you so much for sharing your meditations and your life with us.

    You have inspired me and challenged me with your example and your preaching, broken my chains with your sacrificial prayer.

    You have seen through my BS and not let me get away with anything. That can be uncomfortable for both of us. But it is all good, and I thank you for coming out to the edge to minister to rebels, miscreants, and addicts such as myself

    With affection and respect,
    Jan Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  4. to soap-box-happy-Annonymous:

    Why don't you send the lot of your comments directly to Father Alfonze, maybe through email? maybe a postal letter? Why do you have to make it public here? maybe because your intentions are not what you say they are? just saying...don't get mad at me too.Please don't answer. My questions are more of a comment for Father and the rest of us readers.

    to Padresito: OMG, I was sooo touched by Chris Medina too. My family and friends all were too. We all talked about it a lot, oh and we love Steven too. He's a sweetie, huge heart.

    The movie, "the Fighter" is one of the best movies I have seen in quite a while. I loved it because of the family dynamics. the tightness of their family. the simplicity. the way they function through their hearts. reminds me of my famiy, the bond we have, my husband and daughters and now their husbands.

    Have a wonderful day, Padresito

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Teri,

    I’m glad you commented on my comment today.

    I was mortified when I found that he had posted my comment. It was not meant to be posted.

    If you read what was said, you would know that I am not mad at Father or anyone else and my reason for sending it through the comments is there as well.

    I sat in front of the Blessed Sacrament until 3AM last night, praying about and listening to the Lord, while I was compiling my ‘private message’ to Father.

    It would be nice if he would remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started writing this comment hours ago and got side tracked. And when I came back and hit refresh, I saw the message(s) had been removed.

    My point: I have been reading this blog and the comments for a while now. I have wanted to comment, but I did notice that there weren’t many deep personal comments so I was afraid. Because I have been growing in my faith at the same time that I am going through a real tough time. That message that was removed gave me the courage to share but Teri’s comment to the message that was deeply personal and obviously private made me think again. I guess I will just be a voyeur. I’m so glad I didn’t share anything personal.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.