Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lk 6:20-26 Get Ready For Something Great Part II

Lk 6:20-26 Get Ready For Something Great Part II

(Click here for readings)


I’m feeling compelled to add some additional thoughts to my meditation this morning. I wish to reflect upon St. Paul’s words to the Colossians.


“Brothers and sisters: Think of what is above, not of what is on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God…Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry. Now you must put them all away.”


It is as if St. Paul wrote this letter not for Colossians but for Americans! That he wrote this letter not under 2,000 years ago, but just yesterday!


Whenever we place someone or something above God, we set ourselves up for disappointment! When I would walk the halls of my old school, I marveled at the pictures and posters that some of the kids had in their locker. The boys had some knock out female model. The girls had some famous male singer or actor. I would often say to them, “Make some room for Christ!”


When I visit a home and bless it, I am often surprised to see every portrait of every family member up, except for Christ and the Holy Family.


Mark my words, if I place a boyfriend or girlfriend above Christ, I will be gravely disappointed. If I consider my children the love of my life, I will be greatly disappointed. If I find time for a friend but no time for Christ, I will be severely disappointed.


The Commandment to Love God above all things is still relevant. It has not gone away. It never will. We need Christ more than all other things. If I do not believe it, I will regret it.


Today at Mass I reminded the children that Wednesday school Mass did not count for Sunday Mass. They didn’t look surprised. They know better. Of course, none of them can drive, but I made a point in pointing out to them that they need to ask their parents to take them to Mass. After all, they ask their parents for many things. They ask if they can spend the night at a friend’s house. They ask if they can get this-or-that. They ask if they can go to the Mall or see a movie. So, I asked them, "Why not ask them to take you to Mass?"


We need a Rock. We need a Fortress. We need a Shepherd. We need God. In the eyes of God, we are all children! Otherwise, I will let immorality, impurity, passion and evil desires dominate, control and ruin my life. Blessed are the meek and humble of heart, for they are left with only one direction to look; up!


“God our Father, you redeem us and make us your children in Christ. Look upon us, give us true freedom and bring us to the inheritance you promised. Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.” (Entrance Antiphon, 23 Wk of Ordinary Time)