Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Lk 17:2-10 Nothing Short Of Amazing!

Lk 17:2-10 Nothing Short Of Amazing!

(Click here for readings)


Jesus said to the Apostles: “Who among you would say to your servant who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, ‘Come here immediately and take your place at table’? Would he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for me to eat…You may eat and drink when I am finished?’’ Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded? So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants, we have done what we were obliged to do.’”


The person you marry should always be better than you. Now wait! Who could possibly be better than me? Answer: more people than you think!


Not too long ago I spoke to a highly intelligent and beautiful college student. If you think about it, this combination should be a one-two punch: a knockout! But men are highly intimidated by highly intelligent women and so dating was not a very common occurrence in this young lady’s life. I told her, “Thank God!” She didn’t seem to appreciate my comment.


Not only is she intelligent and beautiful, but she is also virtue filled. She has been looking and waiting for Mr. Right for years! So what happens to us when we think there is no one out there that could possibly love us? We tend to lower our standards. We tend to believe that “I’ve got” the problem; that I am doing something wrong.


Well, against her parents’ wishes and against her better judgment, she began to date a “wanna be” actor and college dropout who began to verbally abuse her and manipulate her love. She tried desperately to make the relationship work because he gave her so much time, attention and affection. [Moms and dads, if you ever wonder why your daughter keeps on dating “losers” then this might help explain a great deal of the problem.]


Thank God, in the end, it all came to nothing. She left him and the “our-love-was-made-in-heaven” love story ended. She went back home and is back in college. Today, she is much wiser, much holier, and the better for it.


Do I seek a love that is inferior to you, my God? Do I seek a love that is easy going, easy believing and easily misleading? Do I fall for a love that makes me feel good or be good – be better? Do I seek a grandfather or a heavenly father?


The Lord is my master, my boss, my King and my God. But he is much more than that. He is my best friend, my cheerleader, my number one fan! My best friend and Lord is, in a spiritual way, my spouse, my lover. He wishes that the two of us would become one.


God formed man to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made him.


What are we obliged to do? Be humble! I repeat: be humble! How could we not accept His love? The Lord is greater than you and me. The Lord is more loving than you and me. The Lord is more desiring than you and me. He makes us better men! He makes us better friends. He makes us better lovers! It is nothing short of amazing! Granted, it is not a love that comes easy, but it is worth all its weight in gold.


“I will bless the Lord at all times!” (Ps 34:2a)