Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, May 20, 2013

Mark 9:14-29 I Do Believe, Help My Unbelief

Monday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time
Someone from the crowd came to Jesus and said, “Teacher, I have brought to you my son possessed by a mute spirit.  Wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes rigid.  I asked your disciples to drive it out, but they were unable to do so…But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”  …Jesus said to him, “’If you can!’  Everything is possible to one who has faith.”  Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief.”
There are two types of people in this world:  those who say, “I do believe, help my unbelief, and those who say “I don’t believe, help my belief.” 
I do believe.  Help my unbelief.   I find this statement refreshingly honest.  Here we have a father whose son has been ill for far too long and with a sickness that would easily challenge the faith of any parent.  But this father hasn’t given up.  On the contrary, he sought the help of Christ’s disciples; and although they were unable to help him, he continued to seek God’s help.  This man never gave up!  In fact, when He approaches the Lord, he doesn’t bombard Him with a billion questions as to why He is so bad!   Instead, he throws himself at the mercy of the Lord:  “Have compassion on us and help us.”
I don’t know about you, but I wonder:  Does this man have a little faith or a lot of faith?  And if he claims to lack faith, then how would my faith compare to his?  Well, I guess it is best not to compare.  But there is a lot to learn here.
Who can help?  A few days ago, a high-powered executive woman told me about a family that’s been struggling with a very sick child and tons of medical bills.  The man in the house has been unemployed for a while now and doesn’t know what to do.  He asked this woman, a dear friend, if she could help.  “Can you help me?” he asked.  “Yes, of course!” she said, even though she didn’t have a clue where to begin.  So she began to pray.    That’s a great way to begin anything that is impossible. 
Everything is possible to one who has faith.  Later that day, as she watched her son play in a soccer tournament, she spotted a man she barely knew.  His child played soccer as well.  With her promise weighing heavily down on her, she wondered if this man could help her friend.  She said a prayer.  She wondered.  She said another prayer.  She hesitated.  She barely knew him.  But for some strange reason she was convinced that he was the one to ask.  She struck up a conversation.  After a few minutes, she came right out and told him what was going on with her friend:  his son, his bills.  The man reached into his back pocket and gave her an envelope.  She thanked him.  In the car, she opened it up and there were four thousand dollars.  FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!  Who carries four thousand dollars?      
I don’t believe, help my belief.  As I mentioned before, there are some people in this world who will shut the door on belief; and not only shut it, but seal it, lock it and cement it in.  They argue that bad things prove that God does not exist.  Hardly!  And if it “proved” anything it wouldn’t be that God did not exist but that He was not good.  C.S. Lewis (1898-1963), a Cambridge professor and convert from atheism, wrote many wonderful books that disentangle all sorts of knotty issues regarding belief in God and in the Christian faith.  In his book “The Problem of Pain”, Lewis argues that Christians created “the problem of pain” by insisting that God is good.  In a New York Times book review, they wrote, “C.S. Lewis is the ideal persuader for the half-convinced, for the good man who would like to be a Christian but finds his intellect getting in the way.”
I agree, except for the part about the intellect getting in the way.  It’s not our intellect; it’s our experiences and pride.  It’s the shutting of our doors:  the closing of our eyes, the plugging of our ears and the cementing of our hearts and minds.

6 comments:

  1. You are being sent into Hell forever ... outside of the God’s Catholic Church.

    The vatican-2 heretic cult (founded in 1965 at the Vatican) *cannot possibly be* the Catholic Church … since it *enforces* the opposite, the opposite, and the opposite of the Catholic Dogma (the actual Catholic Faith).

    The Catholic Faith *is not* Bible interpretation ... it is the Catholic infallible Sources of Dogma (which has been ruthlessly hidden from you, and which you must know). The Catholic Church didn’t even define the Bible’s New Testament Canon until 397 A.D. at the Council of Carthage.

    The founding documents of the vatican-2 heretic cult … the “vatican-2 council” documents … have well over 200 heresies *against* prior defined Dogma.

    Site > Immaculata-one (dot) com

    Section 12 > Anti-Christ vatican-2 heresies (50 listed) ... followed by many Catholic corrections.

    Sections 13 and 13.1 > Photographic *proof* of heresy at the Vatican.

    Because of … the Catholic Dogma on automatic excommunication for heresy or for physical participation in a heretic cult (such as the V-2 cult) …

    … we were all placed, body and soul, outside of Christianity (the Catholic Church) on 8 December 1965 … the close date of the “council”.

    Section 13.2 > Catholic Dogma on automatic excommunication for heresy or participating in a heretic cult such as ... vatican-2, lutheran, methodist, evangelical, etc.

    Section 19.1 > Dogma on Abjuration for *re-entering* Christianity (the Catholic Church) … after being automatically excommunicated. A Formal Abjuration is also provided here.

    Section 13.3 > Matt 16:18, Gates of Hell scripture ... is *not* about the Papacy ... defined at four Dogmatic Councils.

    Section 10.2 > Returning to a state of grace, in places and times when Confession is not available, like now.

    Section 13.6 > You’re not a Catholic priest you never were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....So, let me get this straight. Before Vatican II the Church was infallible. After Vatican II the Church is no longer infallible, correct? Wrong logically. Wrong spiritually. Wrong intellectually.

      Hmmmm....Let me get this straight...so men are more powerful than God because men were able to overturn Christ's Church, replace His Vicar and overtake His seat of authority in Rome. Correct?

      Mike....I disagree.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Fr. Great meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are two types of people in this world: those who say, “I do believe, help my unbelief,” and those who say “I don’t believe, help my belief.” ...

    Add in our friends who say "I don't believe, because I am so enlightened."

    These are becoming more prevalent year after year, unfortunately. I have relatives who've moved to California. I've been too much of a coward to verify they think this way, but these are my suspicions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “In his book “The Problem of Pain”, Lewis argues that Christians created “the problem of pain” by insisting that God is good.” So is Lewis saying that God isn’t good?
    If so, I am so pleased! It’s the same principle you speak of in “blessings”. It’s all a matter of how you perceive circumstances. It’s just that when I am in the middle of a difficult circumstance, I do not, cannot see objectively; this is when I only see pain. It’s just another “trick” that God deals us to keep us challenged!! I do love this about Him so much!!
    Living in one of these circumstances recently, I am surprised by how my mind and body totally took over in order to save (defend) itself…. “I” must survive! ‘They’ joined forces and tried to convince my soul of the lie….because I did not want to face the real truth: this is pain!!! I couldn’t be honest with myself in an instant. It took a while. It had to sink in.
    God is trying to find so many ways to help me get over my prideful self….maybe I should stop praying for humility!!
    “It’s not our intellect; it’s our experiences and pride.” Thanks for your honesty. Great meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So is Lewis saying that God isn’t good?"

    No. Not at all. Please read the book. It is very much worth your time and effort. :)

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.