Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mt 13:44-46 I Have Bought The Field


Wednesday of the Seventeenth Week In Ordinary Time

(Click here for readings)

Jesus said to his disciples:  “The Kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.”

Treasure buried in a field.  The world is like a field.  Faith in God is like a treasure found in that field.  Purchasing a field with treasure is like living in the world with faith. 

With faith, you get so much more out of this world. 

Faith brightens, strengthens and deepens everything, especially human life.  Relationships become much more meaningful; life and death take on a new dimension; and love becomes so much more than just affection, friendship and romance.  Love becomes unconditional.    

But those with faith must learn to cut through the nonsense that screams at it.
After being in Brazil for one week, and having visited the poorest and most violent slums there; after having over three million young people attend Mass in Copacabana, the Holy Father finally, FINALLY, made it on the front page of yesterday’s Dallas Morning News (DaMN). 
Really???  Yes.  For what?  For his remarks regarding homosexuality. 
Ooooh.  Exactly...
Those who have money have more control than those who do not.  Hence, those who have more money typically direct most of our conversations. 

I read yesterday’s DaMN article and I found it amusing how it began:  “For generations, homosexuality has largely been a taboo topic for the Vatican…”
Really???   For the Vatican???  Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn’t homosexuality been a taboo topic for generations in society, schools, families, neighborhoods and even in the military?  Hasn’t it been a topic kept in the closet for generations?
Well, not only is their criticism pointed in the wrong direction, it is also highly incorrect.  Speaking out on homosexuality and marriage is nothing new, especially among Judeo-Christians. In fact, the inspired writers of the Old Testament made that clear when they stated that “God created them male and female, and the two shall become one.” 
But what is refreshing about the Holy Father’s words is that the Catholic Church is capable of loving those who disagree with them.  That is deep.  That is profound.  That is the power of faith in Jesus Christ.
I am reminded of the atheist group known as “Femen.”  If you recall, their female members go around in public bare chested and screaming at others.  Now, they are not considered great thinkers and are often mocked, even by the left, for being extremely superficial in their deliberations, for there is no correlation between women’s rights and going around bare chested, or religion and the subjugation of women (unless, of course, you are a western atheist and a xenophobe).   I don’t know about you, but they sure remind me of a similar movement of the 1960’s, whose members were known as naturists or nudists, and correlated public nudity with a “return to nature.”
How ridiculous.
People often ask me why I read the New York Times or the Dallas Morning News, especially when I know these newspapers are often aggressively anti-Catholic.  Well, if you don't know. These news outlets actually help me to sharpen my mind and increase my faith.  For if these are the best arguments those opposed to faith and the Church can field, then clearly the other field is richer, wider, greener and more beautiful than theirs.
I am very confident that I have bought the field with the treasure buried in it.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I only wish I had your eloquent way of words so I could equally defend our Church. You Rock, Father. We love you, Peace be with you, and may God continue to bless you with these inspirations, so we too will be blessed.
    Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the above comment! :)
      -Rosa

      Delete
  2. In 1972, when asked why I had become a Catholic, my answer was that the Catholic Church felt like home to me.

    Forty-one years later, my answer is more like yours:
    "I am very confident that I have bought the field with the treasure buried in it."

    I find new treasures everyday buried in my Catholic faith. . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.