Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, July 7, 2013

Luke 10:1-12,17-20 You Were Always On My Mind



Sunday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click here for readings)

At that time the Lord appointed seventy-two others whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit.  He said to them, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest.  Go on your way; behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves…"
I am sending you.  Our whole way of life will soon change in America because of the recent Supreme Court decision overturning DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act).  State Amendments defining marriage between a man and a woman will be overturned by Federal Courts.  States will be forced to perform and recognize same-sex marriages.  Church institutions will cease to operate because local governments will consider them to be discriminatory.  Churches will be boycotted by organizations preaching “tolerance.”  Couples will boycott Church weddings to show their in solidarity with those they deem to be “oppressed.” 
The minority opinion, with the support of the Mass Media, will quickly turn into the majority opinion, and the minority will be left to suffer (just as the minority suffered before them).  But there will be no rise of this minority.  They will be crushed. 
Have no doubts:  the Lord wants us in the fight.  Have not doubts:  Christ wants us in the midst of this battle. 
I love to point out hypocrisy, and I love to analyze it. 
I can’t quite remember the headline, but a few weeks ago, The Dallas Morning News (the DaMN), ran a story with the headline:  Chaos above the Senate Floor.”  They were referring to the noise caused by a large number of abortion rights advocates screaming and whistling at Senators attempting to vote on a bill restricting abortions to twenty weeks.  That was “chaos?”  Chaos?  Now, if the advocates screaming and whistling had been pro-life advocates, what would they have written?  Probably something like, “Criminals above the Senate Floor.”  
Not to change the subject too much, but did you notice the numerous Fourth of July commercials from ASPCA featuring Willie Nelson’s song “You Were Always on My Mind”?  How beautiful.  I really liked the commercial the first, second and third time I saw it.  I started to get annoyed around the 10th and 11th time I saw it.  And then I thought to myself, “Couldn’t they have done the same thing for babies as well?” 
Our poor babies!  Far too many of us have far more sympathy for dogs and cats then for our fetuses!!!
In this season of “Pro-Choice” advocates screaming and whistling and Pro-Life advocates praying and kneeling, I think we should take a moment to imagine a commercial featuring our most vulnerable children, those who have come so far and yet will never see the light of day. 
My dear children, “You Are Always On My Mind!”    
Last night I had dinner with a friend.  He had a pretty good observation.  He said to me, “Father, the day NASA discovers one living cell on a planet, they will declare that life was found.  But a fetus in womb is not a life.  How stupid!”  The hypocrisy!
My dear friends, the work is plentiful but the laborers are few.  We need more laborers.  We need you.  We need you to start chiming in during conversations with friends and family.  Do not be afraid.  We are living exciting moments.  The truth is obvious.  It does not need inventing.
May Christ words be on our mind, on our lips and in our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Then Dallas Symphony was doing a rehearsal with Willie Nelson in a tent in the heat. It seems that Mr. Nelson cannot read music. So, when we needed to go over something, the conductor could not say, "Start at letter B". We had to go all the way back to the beginning every time something needed to be corrected. We had to endure, and the DSO had to pay for, two hours of time and a half overtime. I think of that every time I see him on TV, usually doing a commercial. I don't think he was ever invited back. . . . .

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.