Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, October 11, 2013

Lk 11:15-26 Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Friday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

When Jesus had driven out a demon, some of the crowd said:  "By the power of Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he drives out demons."

Why Pray?  To drive out demons.  These spiritual creatures direct our hearts, our minds and our bodies away from God and away from heavenly things.  They have a life of their own but also take root in human beings.  Their names are very well known to us:  jealousy, resentment, bitterness and anger.

The greatest tragedies of mankind have occurred when "sick" people convinced healthy people there was something wrong with them! 

Some "sick" people in the crowd were saying Jesus was curing the ill by the power of the devil.  That is sick.  And it is a common symptom of those who have lost The Way and are possessed by jealousy, resentment, bitterness and anger.  

In the past two days and on separate occasions, I have had two people come to me and say: "Father, I feel like I'm losing my faith in..."  I expected them to say, "in God."  Instead, I was shocked to hear, "in people." 

In people?  Why? 

How can we lose faith in people?  Don't we touch, smell, see and hear them on a daily basis?  Don't we know them by abstract means such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn?  Looks like visual confirmation or written documents are insufficient means of really knowing someone; if this person really exists. 

Do you really exist?  Are you who you claim to be?  

Americans are losing faith in their Constitution; in their government; and in their leaders and representatives.  Nearly one-out-of-every-six Americans want to throw "the bums" out:  President, Senate and House of Representatives.  They want to wipe the slate clean. 

It won't happen.  It will never happen. 

Why?  Because we do not share a common philosophy or common vision.  Instead, we share common demons:  greed, envy, self-interests, selfishness. 

Replacing people with new people (who are driven by their demons) won't solve any problems.  But replacing people with people who pray will. 

Why pray?  To drive out demons and fill our heart, mind, soul and body with the one true God:  Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Fr. Alfonse,
    I have felt discouraged this week especially when I see/feel the "demons" in myself and others. What has helped? Reading/listening to the daily readings; your blog; and praying. It makes me feel that there is a reason to continue to have hope and faith.
    Blessings,
    Rosa E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I lose faith in someone?

    By expecting too much! It’s my problem not theirs when they don’t live up to my expectations! Why should I even expect honesty? If they can’t give me that, it’s for a reason – it’s just that I’m not aware of that reason. It’s when I expect more than can be delivered in that moment that I am the one to hurt the relationship.

    Our society continues to perpetuate blaming others (losing faith in someone) and trying to become the victim when someone hurts me. We don’t even realize that we are perpetuating this mentality throughout our community/nation. If we would just realize that there is so much power in Love. Love does not expect. It just gives. My reward is the knowledge that I am becoming more like Christ.

    (Parenting and expectation is different animal.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus never expected anything from anyone, except His Father. They are one. He knew who He was.

    I don’t think He even expected Peter to walk on water, because Jesus had to allow Peter to realize that “the Kingdom of Heaven is within”!! It was Peter’s faith that allowed him to walk on water a few steps. It was Christ who was always inside Peter, but Peter never had the courage to believe he could be like Christ, probably because of all his previous mistakes! As this incident jolted Peter into a new way of thinking, he began to eventually understand, only with grace, that He could do the same miracles as Christ: Peter raised Tabitha from the dead! He became Christ in that moment because of his belief! Jesus’ life had to be continued through Peter! It was belief in himself, as a child of God, that he had inherited God’s Divinity if he Loved as Jesus Loved, sacrificed as Jesus sacrificed.

    But I must believe that God Loves me immensely, and He wants me to participate in His Divinity.

    “Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.”
    2 Peter 1:4

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.