Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Jn 14:27-31a Let's Be Real

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter
(Click here for readings)

Jesus said to his disciples:  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give it to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid."

Peace I leave with you.  It's no secret.  Much like the Church today, the early Church faced stiff opposition from all sectors of society.  But rather than being discouraged, like so many in the Church today, the followers of Jesus continued to preach the Word by word and example, and to continued to give testimony of the Word by their blood, sweat and tears.  

As Romans crucified them and Jews expelled them, Christians around the world took comfort in the words their Savior gave to them:

"As the Father loves me, so I love you..." (cf. Jn 15:9)
"Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Have faith in God; have faith in me..." (cf. Jn 14:1)
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you..." (Jn 14:27)

And the Christian communities continued to thrive and grow.

Not as the world gives do I give to you.  So what is the difference between Christ's peace and the world's peace?  The Lord's peace is real.  It's honesty.  He backs it up with His life. 

A while back I read a news article about a Dallas woman who was reluctant to go on a roller coaster at Six Flags.  Her family and friends assured her that everything would be just fine.  Well, the woman got on it and tragically fell off it.  She died instantly.

Who are we to tell anyone that everything will be okay?  Am I God?  Now we all know this was a freak accident, but that's not the point.  The point is:  How often do we give people a false sense of security in the things we cannot change and even in the things we can change!

"Oh, don't worry about it.  Everything will be just fine." 
"I forgive you." 
"Nothing bad is going to happen.  Trust me."

Why do we do this?  I think it's because we like to play God rather than pray to God.  It's easier to play "Mr. Know-It-All" rather than pray to the All-Knowing God.

Jesus was being completely honest and frank to His disciples when He said to them:  "If you wish to come after me, then pick up your cross and follow me" (cf. Lk 9:23) and "If they hated me, then they will hate you.  If they persecuted me, then they will persecute you" (cf. Jn 15:18-20).   

He was also being honest with them when He said: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give it to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid."

He backed His words with His return.  And that is the only reason why He ever returned. 

5 comments:

  1. Fr. Alfonse:

    Why do you lump "I forgive you" in with the other platitudes?

    "Oh, don't worry about it. Everything will be just fine."
    "I forgive you."
    "Nothing bad is going to happen. Trust me."

    Isn't true forgiveness something we can offer with intention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two points:

      1. Only God can truly forgive sins.
      2. Sometimes we tell people we forgive them when we don't want to have anything to do with them.

      That's the reason why I added that in there. Of course, we can forgive people, but it is easier said than done.

      Delete
    2. You are right...many thanks for the clarification...Irene

      Delete
    3. Father:

      1. Agreed.
      2. True, but not only can we forgive people, aren't we are actually mandated to do so? "Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.…" Though, I wholeheartedly agree, it's easier said than done :)

      Delete
  2. You nailed it today! Lost my father exactly four weeks ago today...The phrase "Oh, don't worry...Everything will be ok"...was what I would hear and it wasn't...he died. We knew he was going to die. It's all about "don't know what to say" so...this phrase is constantly used over and over and over again. Yes...for him, he is heaven...he's ok...for me...no...its not ok because I lost him...I am grieving...but...I will be ok later but not right now...Thank you for the words of peace! Irene

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.