Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Lk 10:21-24 Childlike Wonder

Tuesday of the First Week of Advent
By JENNIFER BURGIN
Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

My 18 month old niece is an adorable, intense little girl.  She doesn't speak much yet, just a few "Uh-Os!" and "Choo-choos!" as she flashes her big smile.  She likes to call everyone "Daddy!" while moving non-stop.  She is an endless bundle of energy...
Oh, how much we take for granted youthfulness and carefree innocence!

The family dogs watch my niece, following her every move especially if it means snatching Goldfish crackers off the floor. This precious child of God is so filled with wonder and curiosity. The world around her is one huge playground where she can hop, jump, skip and dance. This beautiful child is happy around people; she immediately trusts others; nothing scares her or slows her down.

I sometimes miss my own childhood.  Everything was simple back then.  My mom looked after me and provided for my needs.  I didn't have to worry about a job, paying bills, or aging.  But, then again life seemed to move at a snail's pace.  I finally reached the age of womanhood.  Then I was old enough to get a driver's license.  Eventually I cast my first vote and bought a lottery ticket. How excited I was when I could legally buy wine coolers!

After the age of 21, I often wonder why life goes by at the speed of lightning!  Where did all of the cherished time go??  Now that I am in my 40's I wish I could go back and be an innocent kid all over again.  What would I do differently?  What hidden realities would I discover? 

Maybe I would have taken dance lessons or played on the soccer field.  Maybe I'd be a social butterfly active and amazed by experiences.  Maybe I'd pray more and learned to love and value life in all of its youthful charm.

Of course, we all experience regrets and wish we could reverse time. Rephrase the hateful words.  Treat others with respect.  Cherish that inner heart of a child who unconditional loves and accepts everyone!  However, we cannot live in the past longing for a different outcome.  All we can do is live in the present, recognizing the beautiful blessings in our lives every single day.  
 
Amazing what new discoveries we make through the eyes of our own children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews.  I learn something from my precious little niece every time I see a new video posted on Lifecake.  It's so fun to see her imagination run wild as she enjoys the wonder only a child knows…. 

“But when fundamentals are doubted, as at present, we must try to recover the candourand wonder of the child; the unspoilt realism and objectivity of innocence. Or if we cannot do that, we must try at least to shake off the cloud of mere custom and see the thing as new, if only by seeing it as unnatural....."  - G.K. Chesterton, "The Everlasting Man"

This meditation was written by Jennifer Burgin.  Please follow her blog:  Jennifer's Spectrum of Spirituality

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.