Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, October 10, 2011

Lk 11:29-32 What Signs Do I Need?

Lk 11:29-32 What Signs Do I Need?

(Click here for readings)


While still more people gathered in the crowd, Jesus said to them, “This generation is an evil generation; it seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it, except the sign of Jonah.”


What signs do I need? What more must the Lord do to convince me of his presence.


The Sign of Evil. The “evil generation” is the one that cares not to read the signs of the times. What more convincing do we need that children need a loving mother and father? What more proof must we obtain that pre-marital sex is a dead end to all relationships? Do I still need to convince myself that abortion is an abomination? Or that the seven vices are like shovels that I use to dig my own grave! The list can go on and on and on. This is one sign that points to God’s absence; or rather, that is pointless!


The Sign of Wonder. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns! Believe me when I tell you this! I am continually amazed at how the Lord, in his infinite providence, takes care of the stage props, provides the plot, and develops the storyline. We are truly in his hands all the time. We, like Jonah, simply have the illusion that we are movers and shakers of our destiny. Do I really think that I get from point A to point B by myself? Do I really think that the people I met, the relationships I make and the love that I have is dictated by me? Think again, please! We are not the director, we are the actors. We are not the producers, we are the harvesters! We reap what we did not sow and live what we did not dream! We are living witnesses of wonder!


The Sign of God. The greatest sign of God’s presence is love. When we love we are fully alive! When we love, we live in the image and likeness of God who is love! When we seek to forgive, we seek to love. When we seek to give, we seek to love. In the world of sights and smells, love leaves no physical evidence behind, for love does not boast. Love is generous and kind, patient and giving, forgiving and conquering. It heals all divisions and unites all people. The greatest sign of God’s presence is His peace. Love one another was his latest commandment. The end of war will lead us to the Kingdom of Heaven.


The Sign of Blessings. What God has joined together, no man must divide. What are your blessings? Can you see God’s hand in them? Think back if you must. God’s greatest blessing is his Son, his heart, his unconditional love. When we seek His forgiveness, He always provides. When we seek His love, He provides. When we seek His guidance, He provides. Blessings can only occur when we cooperate. When I fully cooperate with the Lord, it is a blessing to my neighbor and to the stranger. When I seek to serve rather than to be served, it is a blessing to my children and to my spouse. When I seek to lead rather than to be led, it is a blessing to all who depend upon me. Graces are blessings; blessings are signs; signs are memories; memories are remarkably wonderful!


O Lord, remember the words you spoke to me, your servant, which made me live in hope and consoled me when I was downcast. (Ps 118:49-50)