Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lk 11:47-54 Courageously Catholic

Lk 11:47-54 Courageously Catholic

(Click here for readings)


“Woe to you who build the memorials of the prophets whom your fathers killed. Consequently, you bear witness and give consent to the deeds of your ancestors, for they killed them and you do the building.”


We are constantly sharing our thoughts and beliefs in various ways. We make a statement by the car we drive. We make a statement by the clothes we wear. We make a statement by the music we listen to. We make a statement by the language we use. We make a statement by our votes, etc… So what statement do I make regarding my faith?


By condemning Jesus to death, the scribes and the Pharisees made a statement. They put themselves above all others; they sidelined their conscience to get what they wanted; they lied through their teeth to condemn to death an innocent man; they betrayed and crucified one of their very own kin to save their own skin. In doing this, they truly showed what they were truly made of.


By dying on the cross Jesus made a statement. He came into the world out of love for us; he stripped himself of all heavenly glory out of love for us; he carried His cross alone and died solely out of love for us. He overcame fear, anxiety and temptation out of love for us. The Lord truly loves us! By doing all of this, Christ truly showed what He was truly made of.


What am I prepared to do out of love for Him? I have yet to meet a person – young or old - who screwed up their life by taking their faith seriously. This alone should be enough reason to be courageously Catholic!


Bearing Witness. Wherever you are; whatever job you have; whatever economic or social condition, position or status you bear, you can always give witness to your faith in Jesus Christ! How can I do it? How can I give witness to the power of God’s love? The only way I could ever do something like this is if I hold on tight to God’s mercy and love. That’s right, it will be through perseverance. The most efficient, the most worthwhile, the most lasting testimony I can give to my neighbor is how I endure through trial, bear my burdens, and carry my cross. What greater testimony can I give than to bend my knees, lift up my head, raise a smile, and praise the Lord! This picture is worth ten thousand words!


The Lord gave witness to the power of prayer, the power of the Father, the power of love when He spoke boldly, face to face, with his opponents. I WILL NOT COWER WHEN OTHERS CRITICIZE MY GOD AND CHURCH. The Lord gave witness to the power of mercy and compassion when He forgave His enemies. I WILL NOT STOP PRAYING FOR THOSE WHO PERSECUTE ME. The Lord gave witness to the power of holy patience and perseverance when he was misunderstood by his own. I WILL NOT STOP PREACHING THE GOOD NEWS TO MY OWN FAMILY.


There is much we can do. Now, we must be courageously Catholic in all that we do!