Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lk 11:37-41 Inside and Out

Lk 11:37-41 Inside and Out

(Click here for readings)


Did not the maker of the outside also make the inside? But as to what is within, give alms, and behold, everything will be clean for you.


You, Lord, are my maker and redeemer. You took what was filthy and made me clean again. You washed away all my unhealthy desires and cleansed me from all my selfish wishes. You broke the spell! And you have healed me and strengthened me by a bond that cannot be broken.


Did my maker not make the inside as well as the outside? Did he not make the soul as well as the body? Did the Lord not create will as well as arms and legs? Did he not design joy and sadness as well as tears? Lord, I know I seek your face but not your trust. I know I seek your love but not your cross. You created the human mind to not only seek answers but to discover mysteries. As for me, I look only for answers but not for mystery. I have learned that some things are better left unsaid, undiscovered, unanswered.


I turn to you, O Lord, for you are evident in all things. You dwell in the obvious and not so obvious; the heavens as well as the earth; the known as well as the unknown. You make your presence felt in spirit as well as in flesh and blood; in priest as well as in prophet; in my heart as well as in my thoughts; in words as well as in actions.


“While claiming to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for the likeness of an image of mortal man or of birds or of four-legged animals or of snakes.” (Rom 1:23-24)


All sin is depravation. All sin is a reduction. A sinful man lives half a life – a life filled with touches and smells rather than in touches and smells and lessons! All things are of your making! All times obey your laws. Your wrath is made visible by suffering and pain; your justice by obedience and compassion. What is man who lives by only what he sees and smells, touches and tastes? Do not the animals do the same? They do. When a dog sniffs and finds nothing it falls asleep. When a man is thoughtless he falls asleep. I have been asleep, Lord! I have dosed off into nothingness. I have reduced myself to a creature of senses rather than a creature of commonsense!


A body without a soul is a shell. A heart without a soul is a pump. A soul without a conscience is a devil. A conscience without God is a parrot. A parrot is an animal. An animal am I!


“God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.” (Rom 1:25)


Let us make amends my soul, make amends! Let us get our act together and become one in mind and body! Give alms and adoration, time and attention, substance and value not to the god of gold but to the God of glory!