Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Saturday, November 5, 2011

Lk 16:1-8 How Much Do I Owe?

Lk 16:1-8 How Much Do I Owe?

(Click here for readings)


“The children of this world are more prudent in dealing with their own generation than the children of light.”


How much do I owe the Lord? To be perfectly honest, I owe him everything! I owe him my very existence: who I am and what I have become. I owe him my faith, hope and love. I owe him the benefit of the doubt. I owe him my trust. I owe him my thoughts, words and actions. I owe him my heart, mind, body and soul. I owe him my life.


Yesterday, I spent the entire day traveling here and there. It started bright and early. I drove over an hour to get to an ACTS retreat. During my homily I asked the gentleman attending what they owed the Lord. They too owe the Lord a lot. They owe him their time. Maybe they owe him an apology. But most definitely, they owe him…


Soon after that, I was back on the road to visit an elderly woman that was interested in coming back to the Church. She had been away for over thirty years. I asked her why she was coming back. She told me, “Once you’re a Catholic you’re always a Catholic. I searched and searched, looking for something better, something more engaging; something more fulfilling. I found the Church again! I am ready to come back home.” I owe the Lord the truth. I owe him my obedience. I owe him…


I waited for my next appointment. It was with a wonderful parishioner that would like to replace our broken statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Her mother recently died and would like to dedicate a new statue in honor of her. What does she owe the Lord? I owe him my mother. I owe him my family. I owe him the people who love me. I owe him…


My final appointment for the morning was a parishioner who had come to United States a little over one year ago. She had lost her child; been betrayed by her friends and family and had no place to stay. She was in desperate need for a job and became seriously ill soon after delivering here still-born child. What does she owe the Lord? She owes him a new found faith, a new found strength, a new found job, a new found health and a new found hope! I owe him…


The afternoon began with another Mass, this time at Ursuline Academy and for their freshman class. Over the years I have grown to love preaching and serving these kids. It is not easy considering the fact that I am not a girl, I have not been in High School for years and so I look for advice all over the place. I asked the freshman class (of over 200 girls) what advice they thought the senior girls had for them. They gave some very good guesses. But they were all wrong. So, after getting them excited and curious as to what advice they would have, with their ears peeked and their mouths wide open in suspense, I told them. I said, “This is their advice to you: Pick your friends well.” They were speechless. Their heads went down. Their eyes began to wander around the room, and many of them began to nod in agreement. I hit the nail on the head. I surprised them and I was right! What do I owe the Lord? I owe him my friendship. I owe him my youth. I owe him my better judgments. I owe him…


I left there and went to have an early dinner with a beautiful family. I had some amazing soup! That helped lift my soul, my body and my heart. I owe the Lord the beautiful families that are in my life. I owe the Lord the wonderful people I have known. I owe the Lord the homes that have opened the doors to me. I owe the Lord…


Then I was off to my last Mass of the day - back to St. Joseph where I celebrated Mass for our congregation. I told them that it was important that we stop trying to deceive the “Rich man” by squandering his property. The parable in today’s gospel refers to God himself. He is the master and I am the steward. Am I still trying to make deals with God? Am I still trying to finagle my way through life? Have I not learned yet? I owe the Lord what is rightly his. I cannot escape reality. I owe the Lord…


Finally, it was time to head back to the ACTS retreat to hear confessions. But then I realized that I could no longer ignore the sore throat, the aches and pains, and my sinus! So I went to the local PrimaCare to get checked out. After all the Lord has done for me, I owe the Lord my pain. I owe the Lord my suffering. But I was told that I owed the Lord some rest. I know I owe him this meditation. I owe him so much…