Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mt 25:31-46 Christ Our King!

Mt 25:31-46 Christ Our King!

(Click here for readings)


Jesus said to his disciples: “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him.”


Today we celebrate the solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of the Universe! The Church, in her infinite wisdom, decided that once a year, we, the people of this world, needed a little reminder of who truly governs (rules) our world. And the reminder always seems to come at the right moment!


In the last century, with the rise in modern thought and modern technology came the tidal wave of human pride, modern chaos and total confusion! Mother Church wants us to remember that there exists a Universal Law - unchangeable fact - that will never go away regardless of what planet you come from or what era you live in. It is the fact that Christ is not only the King of the Jews but also the King of the Universe!


Yes, Christ Jesus is more powerful than we are. This is such a hard saying, especially for those who hide their individual pride in the human race! Yes, I know…we have the technology and the intelligence to destroy our planet. But we do not have the technology to raise it from nothingness! The Lord is still King of the Greens! Yes, I know…we can make an artificial heart. But it will never be as dear to us as the original! It will always remain an imitation until we are as intelligent as the original’s Creator. Yes, I know…we can create a virtual world and find a good time by going on-line. But it will never replace the real thing. Yes, I know…we are so connected today like never before! But it will never compare to how the sea connects to the earth and the earth connects to the sky; or how plants connect to the planet and how people connect to pets. Nothing compares to the King of Innovation, the King of the World, the King of Life and the King of Harmony! I know…we can extend our lives, make them longer, more fruitful and more productive. But nothing compares to eternity, nothing compares to everlasting life. Nothing!!! Again, the Lord is King of Life and Death.


Yes, I know…we can be so giving and forgiving. We can build monuments to those who have done our nation good, have knocked down walls and overcome obstacles. But we will never ever come close to the Lord of love, forgiveness and mercy. We will never be able to forgive as He forgives in the confessional; give as He gives in the Eucharistic feast, or love as He loves by laying it all down. We can come close, I guess, but He will always be the King of Love!


It is not fair you say. It is not fair that he has so much power, so much might, so much authority. But I say to you, what is the Lord’s greatest power? What makes him so mighty? What is the secret to his power? Yes, it is true. He can flick us off like a fly and crush us like an ant. Yes, it is true. His presence is crushing. But what is the secret to his power? It is His humility! It is crushing! He crushes His opponents – His enemies – with mercy and love.


I know it is true. Here is an example. Yesterday, I was late for a Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe. I was driving a little too fast and by accident I cut someone off. Immediately, he turned on his high-beams. The driver drove like that, behind me, for at least two minutes. When I had had enough, I changed lanes and slowed down. This upset driver drove right by me. Immediately, I returned to my former lane and drove behind him. Twenty years ago I would have turned my high-beams on him. I did nothing. I am sure I surprised him. I was so proud of myself!!! Then the driver took the same exit I took. We both ended up waiting at a red light, side by side. Last year out of pride I would have shown him my collar and sounded out at him the words, “I forgive you!” This time, I did nothing. I never even looked at him. I know I made a difference. So can you. You can show the world you are a better man and it will make all of us better men!


Could the King not have made this world a better world, a perfect world, where there would be no hunger, no thirst, no war, no poverty, and no illness? I sometimes wonder why it is the way it is. I sometimes wonder why our planet, made in such a way that it attracts life, protects life and nourishes life would also be so harsh to life! I know the answer. The King, out of humility, wished for us to finish it for Him. Out of humility he wants us to do our part. Why? Because we can! We are in His image and likeness.


“Whatever you did for the least brothers of mine, you did for me…I was hunger you gave me food, I was thirty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.”


Today is the day to realize that the Lord is not only the King of the Universe but that He is also the King of my life!