Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, November 21, 2011

Lk 19:45-48 Little Gifts Of Love

Lk 19:45-48 Little Gifts Of Love

(Click here for readings)


When Jesus looked up he saw some wealthy people putting their offerings into the treasury and he noticed a poor widow putting in two small coins. He said, “I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest; for she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood.”


Some of us live life on high while others live it at half mast. There are some who reach out while others just stretch. Again, there are some who cave in while others carve out; some who dig deep while others dig their own graves.


In today’s Gospel passage we see the theological axiom that it is not works that make us holy, but love. Yes, love and only love is the reason why this woman’s offering does not go unnoticed.


Is the Law of Love the Law of my Life? Have I come to the conclusion that the purpose of life is to give rather than to preserve? That life is best served when it is surrendered? Or that life is not to be restrained but rather delivered? “Lord, make me a generous man!”


Our relationship with Christ should grow every single day. The Lord’s resurrection occurs every morning in my life. I rise to a new day; I should not take it for granted. The day offers me an opportunity to do something great and small, heroic and tiny, temporal and eternal. Yes, I can do something tiny that is great! I can place two small coins and it will not go unnoticed. I can make a difference in the Universe when I make a difference in one person’s life! Mother Theresa wrote, “I do not agree with the big way of doing things. Love needs to start with an individual.” (Simple Path)


What is truly shocking about Love is that it goes beyond our everyday reality. Love promises infinity, eternity – this is a reality that is far greater than our everyday existence.


This morning I passed by many of our school children. I went unnoticed. I didn’t even think about it. Just another Monday morning…just another morning…just another morning routine….But then someone called out to me from the drop-off line. A mom, still in her car, called out to me and gave me a little care package. It was food. It was just what I needed. I hadn’t had breakfast yet. And then a little girl heard my footsteps. She was already down the hallway when she turned around, saw me, ran back to me and gave me a hug. I told her, “Good morning my little gift from God.”


Love, in fact, means leaving yourself behind; giving yourself; not wanting to hold on to yourself, but becoming free from yourself. Love means not getting preoccupied with oneself, asking over and over again, “What will become of me?” It means looking ahead, toward another, toward God and to the people who He sends. It is this principle of love that defines man’s journey… (Pope Benedict XVI)


Give a little love, as the Father did when He gave us His child.