Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mt 21:33-43 The Lord’s Vineyard


Mt 21:33-43 The Lord’s Vineyard


(Click here for readings)


There was a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a hedge around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a tower…When the owner sent his son, they seized him, through him out of the vineyard and killed him.


We take extra care of the things we own. But do we take care of the people we love? Do we love them the way they should be loved? Do I know the dangers that are out there? Have I planted a vineyard and invested serious money in some fertile soil only to neglect the type of workers I have hired? This happened to our Church. This happens in our families. It also happens in our schools.


Parents work so hard for their children. They invest so much time and money in their children’s education, vacations, transportation, parties, dances and extracurricular activities only to see it go to waste because of bad friends, bad choices and bad faith!


What seeds have you been planting? Isaiah today sings a sad song that is all too familiar to us. “Let me now sing of my friend, my friends song concerning his vineyard. My friend had a vineyard on a fertile hillside; he spaded it, cleared it of stones, and planted the choicest vines. Then he looked for the crop of grapes, but what it yielded was wild grapes!” (Is 5:1-3)


What plants am I growing? We all want to be happy. This should be the fruit of all our labors! But am I still spreading manure on plants that I know will never produce happiness? Do I still believe that my career or my possessions will make me happy? Do I still believe that skimpy clothes and high heel shoes will make me more appealing, more attractive and more respected? Do I believe my fancy home in my fancy neighborhood will produce a closer family and more loving neighbors?


We should know better by now!


I remember a man I met on one of my mission trips to the Philippines. He had the nicest home on this far away island that had no power or running water (he used a gas generator). He was a big time fisherman and had been invited by some high powered foreigners to start up a business with them. They promised tons of money. He asked them how long it would take. They told him twenty to twenty-five years. Then he asked them what he would have to do afterwards. They said, “Nothing. You can relax on some remote island and live the rest of your days fishing and relaxing in the sun.” He told them, “That’s what I do now with my family and friends!” His faith in God kept him from saying yes!


St. Paul tells us, “Brothers and sisters: Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanks giving, make your requests known to God. Brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me.” (Phil 4:7-9)


Let’s work for the Father, planting His seed, yielding His produce, and bathing in His Son!