Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, September 10, 2012

Luke 5:33-39 What To Do To...?

Luke 5:33-39 What To Do To...?
The scribes and the Pharisees watched [Jesus] closely to see if he would cure on the Sabbath so that they might discover a reason to accuse him…they discussed together what they might do to Jesus.
If you spend some time with someone, you are bound to get to know them.  Once you get to know them, you are bound to get upset with them.  From a distance, they can do no wrong.  Up close and personal, all they seem to do is wrong. 
This is the paradox of friendship.  In order to make a friend, you have to get to know them.  Once you get to know them, you know everything about them.  Once you know everything about them, you can easily get annoyed by them.  That’s why very few brothers or sisters are very good friends.  It’s not because we didn’t get to pick them.  It’s because we got to know them! 
To be a friend means to love a friend.  To love a friend means to forgive a friend.  A friend is not someone you find.  It is someone you forgive.   
This morning I told a group of high school senior girls that the best way to prepare for College life is to invite their little sister back into their room.  What better way is there to prepare for dorm life; for a roommate you didn’t pick!  What a great way to prepare for someone who will snoop into your affairs; complain night and day; and have little to no respect for your property, feelings or ideas.
Friends do not make us better prepared for college life (or life).  Family does! 
The scribes and Pharisees were watching the Lord closely to see if they could accuse him of something, anything.  Boy, that must have taken a lot of work!  It couldn’t have been an easy task.  And there lies the irony of it all:  the scribes and Pharisees were working hard, harder than the Lord, on the Sabbath!
But they couldn’t find anything.  So what to do? 
Rather than looking to be better or holier, the scribes and Pharisees looked for something – anything - to accuse the Lord of.  And the Lord knew it.  That’s why He went along his way and spent very little time with them.  Sure, He talked to them and dealt with them, but He gave very little of Himself to them, and this irritated the hell in them!  While the Lord continued to cure the sick and heal the sinners, the scribes and Pharisees continued to attack Jesus: viciously and aggressively.  They called him names.  They twisted his actions.  They distorted his messages.  In the meantime, the Lord continued doing what He did best.
What do you do when someone does you wrong?  Do you leave them alone?  Do you try to help them?  Or do you strike back in a vicious manner?  We all know what the Lord did.
What do you do when someone doesn’t fall into your trap?  Do you leave them alone?  Do you learn your lesson?  Or do you strike back in a vicious manner?  We all know what the Pharisees and scribes did.
Does name calling or throwing mud at someone’s name or reputation make you a better person?  Does calling someone a bigot, a racist, an extremist or a chauvinist make you feel any better?  Would it have made the Lord any better?  Did it make the Pharisees any better?
There are some people in this world that, regardless of how much you try to help them, will end up attacking you.  Christ knows!  The perfect man experienced it himself.   Would you expect anything different; especially you being imperfect?
Honest people make mistakes and give us a great opportunity to rise above the mud and forgive… just as we hope to be forgiven.    
To forgive someone does not require a lot of time.  Don’t expect too much time to be given.

3 comments:

  1. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” Proverbs 17:17

    I find your words to be very true Father.
    This is not exactly your point, but… About 10 years ago, I was in a very, very dark place which lasted about 3 years. I didn’t even realize I was there; I couldn’t realize much of anything. One incident I do remember was an overwhelming feeling of shame, guilt of my sins (that as I look back today were not mortal sins). But who did I run to except my atheist (and not so moral) friend who I knew would not judge me. I just needed someone to confide in! All she did was listen. But I just couldn’t take the blow of being judged by my “religious” friends because I thought that they would look down on me, and no longer deem me “worthy” to be one of them. I couldn’t share it with the Lord because He was not to be found. Anyway, years later I realized one reason (out of many) why God gave me this precious friend. It was an epiphany for me!! This experience allowed by God has helped me tremendously in how I look at others. When I do catch myself judging someone, I try to bring back this memory. Truly, I don’t know what others are going through. If I can give half the love that my friend gave to me, I will be victorious even if I don’t have a battle to win.
    I am not one to tell a friend just what they want to hear. However, I strive to be a friend who will be able to listen to and empathize with someone no matter how dark or ’bad’ they may seem. Proverbs 27.5-6

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I told a group of high school senior girls that the best way to prepare for College life is to invite their little sister back into their room.- I thought when my oldest child turns 14 in 5 days.I was thinking it would be a good idea to move my 6 year daughter out of their bedroom. So my 14 year daughter can have some private time and be more Independent . Now~LOL I think I may change my mind on that~ VERY CUTE Meditation Father Alfonse ! I love when u discuss about family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father Alfonse,

    A friend is also with you whether you laugh or cry.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.