Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, April 8, 2013

Luke 1:26-38 The Annunciation

Luke 1:26-38  The Annunciation
The angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary.  And coming to her, he said, “Hail, full of grace!  The Lord is with you.”
Mary was greatly troubled at what was said to her by the angel.  Wouldn’t you?  Wouldn’t you feel overwhelmed at the thought that God was expecting something from you?
The Lord expects something from all of us, not just Mary.  So let’s not even think that what the Lord expected from Mary was much more than He would expect from each and every one of us. 
God wants all of us to participate in His plan of Salvation.
The Lord is with you.  Indeed He is; and in the most ordinary of ways.  Often times we would like to imagine that we live on an island, isolated from humanity and the events of our day.  But that is not true.  We live entrenched in relationships:  good, bad and ugly, but all meaningful.  We can change the course of human events and of humans themselves with a simple word.
What is striking about the Annunciation is its uniqueness and commonplaceness.  Joseph and Mary are young and in love with each other.  But most importantly, their love is consecrated to the Lord, by the Lord and for the Lord. 
Love is very common, but that it would be consecrated is very unique, for far too many of us do not ask the Lord to bless our love, let alone our marriage!  And yet when we do, we can truly expect great things to happen, and not just for ourselves.
“The Lord is with you.”  Notice, the angel does not say to Mary that the Lord will be with you.  No child has yet been conceived in her womb.     
For her entire life, the Lord has been with Mary.  And not just with her but with Joseph as well; and not just with Joseph and Mary, but with Elizabeth and Zachariah.  Indeed, the Lord is with all of us.  Yes, God is with all of us because all of us are His children.   
When I come to realize this, then everything changes.  Motivations change.  Courage increases.  Faith, hope and love abound.  I begin to believe that all things are truly possible.  I begin to think that I can move mountains, and even the toughest of mountains, such as my spouse, my children, and my friends.
When I was a religious, I was encouraged to believe that I could change the world.  Immediately I protested.  But I never understood why?  It finally dawned on me that I didn’t believe it because I didn’t pray.  Prayer and belief go hand in hand. 
Let us announce to the Lord what Mary announced to the world.
Resolution:  I will pray to God in the words Mary gave us:  “Let it be done to me according to your word.”

3 comments:

  1. I love that u brought back your images on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to but I couldn't figure it out. It wouldn't work and just yesterday, on Divine Mercy Sunday, it started working again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good thing :) Father Alfonse

      - God works in Mysterious way

      sleep well on this windy night :)

      Delete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.