Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Wednesday, April 17, 2013

John 6:35-40 Preaching and Seeing

Wednesday of the Third Week of Easter


Jesus said to the crowds, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.”

In today’s first reading, Philip went down “to the city of Samaria and proclaimed the Christ to them…and the crowds paid attention” (Acts 8:1-8).  Wow!  Did you read that?  The crowds actually paid attention to what Philip had to say. 

As a priest and a preacher I know what that means.  It means a lot.  It’s nice to know that people are paying attention to what you say.  But I have to be fair.  When I look out at the congregation and see some people dozing off, I can’t just blame them.  I have to blame myself as well.  I have to blame the messenger, never the message.  That’s important.  That’s being honest.

The problem with Christianity isn’t with our message or our founder.  The problem is with us, the messengers.  We have a tendency to either dilute our message or constrict it. 

I don’t take requests.  Yesterday, I read a message from someone who requested that I not mention the Boston terrorist attack during our school Mass.  Today, a parishioner asked me why I didn’t mention the Boston terrorist attack during the early morning Mass (Note:  there were small kids present at that Mass as well).  I was shocked.  I told this person that I had mention it.  Now they looked shocked.  I guess the parishioner didn’t hear me. J  

You see folks; you can’t always please everyone all the time!  That’s why I don’t take requests, except from the Holy Spirit.   

Of course, we all need to be sensitive to our audience when we speak.  However, we need to speak, and speak out nice and loud.  The world needs to hear what we have to say.  It needs us.  It needs Christ.  Believe me when I tell you that people, a lot of people, are very much interested in what the Church and the Bible have to say.  No wonder why over 10 million additional people watched the mini-series “The Bible” each day it was broadcasted.   People want us to highlight the contrast between light and darkness.   

The world still needs our message and our founder!  Why?  Because our world thirsts and hungers for holiness, for Christ.  Our kids thirst and hunger for righteousness.  Why?  Because elementary school kids are no longer immune to crime or terrorism.  They are more and more the victims of it!  And it is increasingly becoming a normal part of their world, just like ice cream and medication.

Where can we hide?  Where can we hide our children?  Nowhere!  Nowhere is safe.  Not even our private Catholic schools, gated communities or beautiful families are safe anymore.  Terrorism has gone main stream.  The days of shock are becoming common and boring.  No one is expecting an end to terrorism but when it will strike next. 

Our kids, our families, our society are increasingly becoming the victims of reality; the reality of sin; the reality of a fallen world.  Finally, the world has fallen upon us!

Now don’t get me wrong.  The real world is not our fallen world, where truth hurts and innocent lives are lost.  No, the real world is Christ’s world, where love reigns and forgiveness is crowned.  What we live in is a reality lost, a “Paradise Lost”, where half of the world’s kids witness explosions, violence and abuse on a daily basis.  We thought that our gated communities were strong enough to block reality from rolling over us.  We were wrong.  It is rolling over us, our false paradise and false paradigms. 

The war on terrorism will not end with the last terrorist (foreign or domestic) dead.  It will end with our prayers and the religious conversion of the last terrorist. 

The fallen world has finally come to America and it hurts a lot.  How we respond to it will determine whether or not heaven remains above us or embraces us.

3 comments:

  1. But I have to be fair. When I look out at the congregation and see some people dozing off - who would doze off in one your homilies or while you were preaching. You make the congregation come alive

    " I can’t just blame them. I have to blame myself as well. I have to blame the messenger, never the message. That’s important. That’s being honest. " - very humble Father, I Love the humbleness that comes out from your words or your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see folks; you can’t always please everyone all the time! - "Please forgive me for my French " Dam that you do and Dam that you don't. I have no other way to put it


    God bless you my Darling Father Alfonse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please pray for all persons and families in West and every person who has helped these wonderful people. My sister, her family and my mom are all ok.Thank God its just their two homes that were demolished.As I just happened to be in West right after the explosion,I began to roll an 89 year old lady, Faye, on a wheelchair from the nursing home to the open football field so that EMS could access the injured. Faye had a head injury, no shoes with light clothing on.I kept trying to give her a blanket but she would just say: give it to someone who really needs it. Lets just say the rosary. So we did. Her words continue to convert me as I try to help my mom and sisters family with their injuries. The only words I continue to hear from this community is how thankful everyone is and encouragement to continue to pray for all our friends who gave their life trying to save others. I do see how this community is changing the world, one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.