Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, December 2, 2013

Mt 8:5-11 Did You Just Amaze The Lord?

First Monday of Advent
(Click here for readings)

When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully."  He said to him, "I will come and cure him."  The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed..."

Pause for a moment.  Place yourself in this scene.  We are just a few feet away from Christ and this centurion.  If photographers existed back then, we would be in a position directly opposite of them, facing them, with the Lord and the centurion in between us. 

Encountering a stranger.  As a public figure, the Lord is unique in allowing strangers to have easy access to him.  And it doesn't matter who they are:  Pharisees, scribes, elders, Roman soldiers, lepers, the contagious, etc..  The Lord is truly a God sent.  

Am I easily approachable?  Or do I feel more comfortable in my close(d) circle of friends?

Not only does the Lord not mind who approaches Him, but I have also noticed that He doesn't mind at all if His plans get changed. 

Do I get easily frustrated when things don't go as planned?  Am I disturbed by people who walk up to me and ask me for favors?

Along the journey, the Lord continually reminds His people who they should be like...and who they should not be like. 

Am I listening?  Or am I simply caught up in the highlights and headlines?

The devil loves to generalize everything.  The Lord, like the truth, is found by digging deeper into reality and examining the minutest acts of love. God, not the devil, is in the details.  

I am impressed with the Lord.  He does what I only dream of doing.  He speaks to those I would prefer to ignore or walk away from.  He comforts those I would prefer to see suffer.  He accompanies those I would prefer to part from their company.

"Charity is a paradox, like modesty and courage. Stated baldly, charity certainly means one of two things - pardoning unpardonable acts, or loving unlovable people." (G.K. Chesterton)

Reason can only take me so far.  It cannot take me all the way.  It will only lead me to the mountain base.  It will be by faith that I make it to the top.

Lord, I am not worthy to receive you.  When Jesus heard this he was amazed and said, "In no one in Israel have I found such faith." 

I find it amazing that God was amazed.  Really, think about it.  Someone amazed God - God! - the Creator of all things, maker of the Universe.  Wow!  That's amazing. 

Have I ever surprised the Lord and got His jaw to drop? Have I ever amazed Him?

What I also find amazing about Christ is how quick He is to praise others, regardless of nationality, ethnicity, religion or status.  Come to me for I am meek and humble of heart.  Humility is King!  It is the virtue that lays the ground work for unity.  Peace to all people on earth will only be a reality only when humility among all people exists on earth.  

Am I quick to praise and slow to correct? 

Let us spend our Advent season converting into the life of Christ.



During Advent, please think about sharing these meditations with friends and family.  God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. Quick grammar check: "As a public figure, the Lord is unique in allowing strangers to have easy assess to him." - Should it be "easy access to him"??

    "Have I ever surprised the Lord and got His jaw to drop? Have I ever amazed Him?"
    These are great questions to ponder. You've given me an idea for a future meditation. Thanks! :)

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>Quick grammar check: "As a public figure, the Lord is unique in allowing strangers to have easy assess to him." - Should it be "easy access to him"??<<

      Original post: >>Am I quick to praise and slow to correct? <<

      Does anyone else see the irony in this?

      Delete
  2. funny! But I am sure Fr. is grateful for the correction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about giving people the benefit of the doubt in this Advent season and focus our energies on being Christ's light in the darkness?

    May His Peace be among you.

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.