Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Friday, January 23, 2015

Mk 3:7:12 March for Life 2015

Thursday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

By JENNIFER BURGIN

Jesus withdrew toward the sea with his disciples. A large number of people followed from Galilee and from Judea. Hearing what he was doing, a large number of people came to him also from Jerusalem, from Idumea, from beyond the Jordan, and from the neighborhood of Tyre and Sidon.

March for the Babies   Today, the annual March for Life takes place in Washington D.C. Since the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision 42 years ago, over 57 million babies have died from abortion.  This is a colossal tragedy, especially when I think about the brilliant scientists, inventors, and artists alive today if only their mothers chose life!  What if the late Steve Jobs was aborted instead of given up for adoption?  No Apple Corp - no Mac, no iPad, no iPhone.....our electronic gizmos would be quite different, if invented at all.

 I applaud the brave pro-lifers, who despite the wintry elements, proudly rally and march on behalf of unborn children.  What I find so amazing about this event are the sheer numbers of youth participating.  They grow exponentially each year.  What a change from my parents' generation who planted the weeds for abortion-on-demand.  Sadly, my mom is still very pro-choice to this day.  In fact, she makes critical remarks about the March for Life each year.  I just ignore her comments. Certain subjects my mom and I do not discuss; abortion is one of them.

Before I became Catholic, and learned about the horrors behind Planned Parenthood, I was pro-choice just like mom.  I always said to myself that as a single person if I ever became pregnant I'd opt for an abortion.  I'd go so far as travel out of state for one.  The last thing I wanted was to confront a sidewalk counselor begging me to save my baby. Thank the Lord my attitude towards Life changed.  I know now I could never kill my unborn child. Life is too sacred and precious.  Only God has the right to take away a life, and it's according to His master plan.

As I age, I've learned to enjoy children more.  In the past, I'd never be caught holding a kid.  I'd quickly shy away from the whole baby coo and poo thing.  All this changed after a recent trip to Nevada to visit my sister and her husband.  I taught my 10 month old niece how to clap her hands for the first time!  I couldn't believe the smile on her face.  (My sister raves how much the baby loves her Auntie Jennifer!!)  I wish I could hold that bundle of joy in my arms right now.  Having family living long distance is a challenge, especially since children grow so quickly and the "firsts" are often missed. My sister set up an account through the website Lifecake, so I follow my niece's development each week.

A Sea of Crowds A parallel can be drawn between the vast crowds following Jesus and the thousands of pro-lifers marching onto the steps of The Capitol and Supreme Court buildings.  Both crowds, biblical and modern-day, walk with an enthusiastic mission.   They desire healing and forgiveness; change and conversion. They rely on faith, trusting God will provide physical and emotional healing.  Furthermore, they remain hopeful that their lives, and the lives of their children, will remain protected from dark and evil practices.

Let us spend a few moments in prayer for a greater respect for human life and even more converts to the pro-life movement!

"How can there be too many children?  That is like saying there are too many flowers." -Mother Teresa


This meditation was written by Jennifer Burgin.  Please follow her blog:  Jennifer's Spectrum of Spirituality

No comments:

Post a Comment

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.