Meditation is an ideal way to pray. Using God's word (Lectio Divina) allows me to hear, listen and reflect on what the Lord wants to say to me - to one of his disciples - just like He did two thousand years ago.
The best time to reflect is at the beginning of the day and for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
Prior to going to sleep, read the Mass readings for the next day and then, in the morning, reflect on the Meditation offered on this website.
I hope these daily meditations allow you to know, love and imitate the Lord in a more meaningful way.
God bless you!


Monday, January 19, 2015

Heb 4:12-16 Alive and Active!

Saturday of the First Week in Ordinary Time
(Click here for readings)

By GABY HUNDZA

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than a double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. 
There’s a lot going on in these few verses, and everything being said is wonderful and important, so I think it’s best if I break it down;
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than a double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
The word of the Lord is living and it will always be alive, for the word is the truth and the truth will continue on for eternity; it will always be the truth and will never fail to be heard. It is active and effective in the way that it changes lives and stirs up the soul. Our spirits are transformed by God’s message. When we are struggling, the Lord can bring us peace, and He does not fail to provide what is necessary for us. He reminds us of our worth and purpose, he tells us how much he loves us, he reveals to us our true beauty. There is beauty in everyone, and he sees it; he recognizes the goodness in our hearts.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet he did not sin.

Sometimes this is hard for me to fully understand, but God sent his only son down to endure the pain and temptations that we face every day because of the immense love he has for us. Jesus suffered for us sinners. He understands what we are going through, no matter what is going on. Like I said before, he recognizes the goodness in our hearts; however, he also sees the sadness and feels the pain that we experience. We are blessed to have a great high priest that not only sacrificed his life for us, but also understands the happiness, sorrow, joy, and pain we go through. We are undeserving of the sacrifice Christ made for us, but we are worthy because of God’s grace.

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

In 8th grade I wasn’t very comfortable with the community I was exposed to at the church due to my own personality, and consequentially I had doubts in myself. I chose to “take a break” from attending mass, and I decided not to get confirmed with my class. During my first year and a half of high school, I was strong in my faith but I still felt lost. I had no doubts in our God, but I didn’t have any confidence in myself. At my school we take religious courses, so I began to dig even deeper into the word, and as a result I began to listen to the plan God had for me. I began attending mass again sophomore year, I spent more time with the Lord, and I discovered who I was. A verse that I’ve come to love while talking about my journey of faith is Galatians 4:9 - “but now that you know God - or rather are known by God - how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?” It really describes what I went through - the struggles I dealt with and the recovery I made.

I know now to rely completely on God, because he cares for all of us deeply and wants the best for us. God will give us all that we need, and he is patient when we are not ready to listen or accept what he provides. I may be three years later than the typical Catholic girl, but I know God is rejoicing over the fact that I finally am ready to be confirmed and start a new chapter in my journey of faith.
I think of the Bible like God’s love letters to us. He is actually talking to us through this beautiful book. When we choose to listen to what He is telling us, we are transformed. We gain confidence. We understand his love for us. We believe in ourselves. We know who we are and whose we are.

Gaby Hundza is an active high school student with a heart of gold and a spirit that is very much alive and active!  She is a frequent contributor to this blog.  Thank you Gaby!

1 comment:

  1. Gaby. Father must really think you are amazing. I second his opinion. Keep up the great work in school and on this blog. I wish I had friends like you when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Updated: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point.Comments are no longer accepted for posts older than 7 days.